Removed old stereo, cut the plugs off, now no dash or interior lights?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by bigburb, Dec 25, 2009.

1. bigburb

bigburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I removed my old stereo along with the EQ/tape deck and tuner box, and unplugged all the wires going to them. The deck I bought didn't come with a wiring harness, so I had to hard wire all the wires. I had the coding for both the new deck and the old chevy wires side by side, and matched them up just as I had on the suburban (which I had zero problems with after installation of the new stereo). The first time around, when I turned the key to the accesory position, the interior lights came on, but now power to the stereo. When I pulled the key back out, the lights shut off as well (the driver's door was open the whole time).

So I seperated all the wires and started over fresh. I paid extra attention when connecting the wires this time, only when I finished, I turned the key back once again, my dash backlighting came on, I heard 3 quick clicks from the head unit and then it just started smoking (literally). So I unplugged it and called it quits before I got too angry and broke something.

So as it stands now, I have a disaster of mess in my interior, a fried head unit, and non-functional interior lights and dash backlights.

Can anybody help me out with this? Usually I have a general idea of what may be wrong with my truck, but I'm completely stumped on this one. Any quick responses would be great. I was supposed to make a 150 mile drive tomorrow but I don't want to do it if my electrical is just going to keep getting screwier on me.

2. bigburb

bigburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Well, I got my dash/running lights back... it was a blown fuse :sign0017:

Still no interior lights, any ideas?

3. 02greenmachine

02greenmachine New Member

Start tracing wires to figure out what you messed up in the process of hacking the sh*t out of your dash harness. There was no need to cut any of that, for about 8 bucks you could have saved all this hassle and bought an adapter plug.

4. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

The "brain" for your stereo is down on the floor by the gas pedal under the carpet... That is what you will have to hook into to make it easier...