Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Removing Brake Drum

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by loshan, Sep 9, 2008.

1. loshan

loshan New Member

The brake drum doesn't want to come off of the rear axle on my 96 Tahoe. Anybody have any tips or tricks?
    Is it because a groove worn in it? There is no thumbwheel to adjust brake. Maybe I'm not holding my mouth right?
    Any help appreciated, Thanks!

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Are you certain there's no adjuster? Every indication I have says there should be an adjuster mechanism, and the usual approach is to get the adjuster screwed in to retract the shoes. There should be an oblong access hole (probably covered with a rubber plug) center bottom of the backing plate. You will have to reach in with one screwdriver to push the adjuster pawl away from the star wheel, and another screwdriver to turn the wheel down.

3. loshan

loshan New Member

After that

Thnks, I will look for that in the morning.

Once I get that off, I need to know if the bearing is pressed on (guy at the auto parts place said no) and if I have to go through the differential to get the axle off, or jus through the four bolts on the hub.

Thanks so much for your help.

4. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Probably most DO have the adjustment access hole. My 87 K5 Blazer does not have them. I have done many brake jobs on at least a dozen different trucks and cars in my 26 years of driving and My Blazer is the only vehicle (with rear drum brakes) that does not have the adjustment holes.

One tip is to make sure the emergency brake is off (I know, DUH but I have done it myself) and grab both sides of the drum and wiggle like hell until it comes off!