1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

removing catalytic converter

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by boatman2089, Dec 8, 2009.

1. boatman2089

boatman2089 New Member

on my 02 silverado with the 4.3L the drivers side converter is vibrating so bad that its drowning out the sound from the radio and you can feel it throughout the truck, the truck has 173,000 miles on it and i really don't feel like spending the $$ on replacing the whole thing, and the truck has tripped the code for the converter (i don't know the code off the top of my head). my question is can i just cut the one converter off and put a piece of pipe there without removing the other? will the truck run funny if i just remove the one side without doing the other side?

anyone run into this problem or have and input on this? advise on this is hugely helpful, thanks
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

You can buy replacement converters for your truck for under $100.00 each. With over 173,000 miles on the truck I would replace both. You truck will run better.
  3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

you can get universal magnaflow cats for 83 a piece on ebay, sometimes even less. Its cheaper then the fine you would get if you would get caught without them on the truck
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

There is little reason to not run a catalytic converter on your vehicle. Like everyone else has said, high-flow cats can be had for very cheap, and the motor may very wellrun WORSE without them because the computer is looking for feedback from the sensors to indicate that the cats are doing their job.
  5. boatman2089

boatman2089 New Member

ok thanks to the both of you, ive found those flowmasters that you were talking about for cheap and ill have my exhaust guy install em:great: