Removing cats

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by blueZ71, Mar 12, 2009.

1. blueZ71

blueZ71 Rockstar 100 Posts

How do I trick the rear O2 sensors (behind the cat) if I were to remove the cats on my 2000 silverado?

2. heavy chevy

heavy chevy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

install dummy sensors i guess

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

O2 simulators are the cheapest way if you can find them. Most people quit making them and some of the ones still made just dont work. A Diablo Preditor programmer has the ability to trick the ecm into not throwing a o2 code, but the rear o2 still has to be installd and plugged in. I run highflow cats on my 05 Silverado and they were throwing codes so I just turned the rear codes off.

4. mjalstad

mjalstad Rockstar 100 Posts

X2 - either simulators, a Predator, or a custom tune. The rear O2's don't need to be plugged in with a Predator though.

5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you do remove the cats make sure you don't run the truck with the check engine light on because you will be operating in an open loop situation and your performance will suffer.

6. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i'm lookin at getting high flow cats. it seems like less effort

7. mjalstad

mjalstad Rockstar 100 Posts

No, you will be fine. It will run in closed loop. The second O2 sensor does not affect performance in any way, shape, or form. If you have a check engine light on, it will not make you go into open loop. I don't know where you got this information but it is totally wrong.

8. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts