Removing front Differential 1993 K1500

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by remist17, Jun 23, 2009.

1. remist17

remist17 Member

Okay everyone...
    I have a 93 K1500 with 175000 miles, purchased truck about 169000. I am getting a noise from the front. Seems like I am running mudder tires. Noise does not change in 4x4 or 2x4, cornering or straight, high speeds or slow. Seems to be noticeable around 35mph. I am thinking either wheel bearings or front diiferential...??

I have not done any front end work to this yet, were should I start or how can I diagnose what the issue is. I do see some leakage from the CV shaft goes into the diff housing.

Im thinking I need to replace the bearings in the front differential. I would like to try and do this myself. I need to drive the truck while this is being done. Does anyone know were I can get a manual for the front Diff?

1993 K1500 Auto 4x4 350

2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have never heard of anyone having trouble with the front differential. Wheel bearings are very common problems. Jack up the truck under the lower a-frame until the tire is off the ground. Wiggle, shake, pry underneath tire, and see if you can find any movement. It's easier with a helper.

3. remist17

remist17 Member

The tire does move or shake a little. I contributed that to loose Ball joints. So this could be a wheel bearing?

4. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Unless the ball joint is completely shacked out, it takes a fair mount of effort to move them. The lowers take a lot. Pull the wheel off, maybe put a couple of lug nuts to hold the rotor tight. Hold the rotor at 12-6 or 3-9 and try to move the rotor and look for movement between the CV shaft outward hub and the knuckle. There should be zero movement.