1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Removing marker from painted pannels

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by 02_SierraZ71, Jan 26, 2014.

1. 02_SierraZ71

02_SierraZ71 New Member

I picked up a few painted parts from the autowreckers and they have written on them with some type of paint marker. Anyone know the best way to get it off without damaging the paint underneath it?
  2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I would try googone or even maybe some gasoline on a rag.. they shouldnt strip the clear off but it will remove any wax ect.
  3. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

A very high grit number polishing compound will get it off. It can't be stuck on very tight. i have removed spray can vandal graffiti with scratch doctor.
  4. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Elbow Grease. Get a good cleaner, and scrub away. googone works pretty good.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

if they are metal body panels a clay bar might take it off without causing any damage.
  6. dunnowhat

dunnowhat New Member

Clay bar or metal polish will do. With of course a lot of elbow grease.
  7. Guardrail

Guardrail Member

Get an eraser wheel. Try easy off oven cleaner.
  8. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

The paint markers are low tech and easy to remove. The trick is to avoid removing the paint.

I would use, one at a time, in sequence, until finding one that works:

1) denatured alcohol
    2) xylene (or goof off, which is mostly xylene)
    3) a good nonchlorinated brake cleaner

following label precautions

The brake cleaner is likely to damage the clearcoat so you want to expose the paint to it as little as possible, and you may have to touch up the clearcoat afterwards.