1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

removing rust

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by reggiecab2000, Dec 10, 2012.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

hey guys,
    is there a better alternative to removing the rust off the front end of my truck (i.e. frame ), other than naval jelly and a tiny wire brush? just kinda hoping for a faster or easier alternative
    thanks
  2. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

Yeah. Sand blast it. How much rust are we talking about? If it is just surface rust, I wouldn't worry about it.
  3. PondWarrior

PondWarrior New Member

4. 1993gmc

1993gmc New Member

You Tube has tons of video's on what to get Por 15 is good read about it.
  5. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member

Eastwoods has allot of great products for removing and encapsulating rust. I've used their fast etch, rust encapsulation spray and heavy duty rust proofing products.
  6. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

sand blasting is more money than i could afford. :/
    basically the front frame horns, front body mounts, as far back as the crossmember, the sway bar, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

you say its a tool that attaches to your drill? would you know the name? sounds interesting
  7. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

well I ended up purchasing a $60.00 craftsman sandblasting kit from sears and this little thing worked like a dream! i actually found out that it took more time to remove some of the spots with the rubberized undercoating still in tact on there than it did to actually take off the rust. heres a few pics.

the frame horns were naval jellied then painted a couple weeks ago, all the paint i used was "rustoleum flat black protective enamel"
    though i didnt sandblast the frame horns because i plan on removing them for my bumper project.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

this was a fun project on christmas day :) definitely worth it, although i wish i had more time off of work, so i could spend more time in san antonio doing this, since i do not have a compressor nor space to do this in an apartment complex parking lot lol
  8. newcheylover

newcheylover New Member

with what you are doig there i would recommmened looking at eastwoods rust incapsulator spray. it looks like theres only surfice rust there not big chunks so id just spray it right over the rust. the spray turns the rust into blackoxide which is just a fancy word for controled rust. i then went over it with eastwoods chassie black that has cermamic mixed in with the paint and its real tough stuff, you just need to let it cure out for a day before showing it to the elements. i have the same issue with my truck just surfice rust and it is working like a dream. i did my rear bumper brackets last year and i live in michigan and the salt has not done anything to it.
  9. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

i have indeed looked at their products and do like them, but im just a perfectionist like that, id rather remove it than cover it up. plus sandblasting it all is fun :)
  10. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member

Eastwood's products work great and can even be used to treat bare metal. They sell everything you need for your entire chasis. Just recommending them as I used their products and they have great costomer service (which is getting harder to find).