1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Removing seat belt retractor from front seat of 05 Yukon

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by craig838, Jul 20, 2013.

1. craig838

craig838 New Member

I am trying to remove the seat belt retractor (seat belt unit) from the back of the seat of my 05 Yukon and don't have a clue how to get to it. I can see the seat back cover has to be removed and can tell it is attached at the base of the back. I can't figure out how to remove the arm rest to remove the seat cover. Is there a way to get to the seat belt retractor without completely removing the cover? Why I need to do this I have described below, which may or may not be important.

I bought my SUV from a salvage yard and rebuilt it. It is complete with the exception of resolving the issue with the SDM and seat belts. The driver and passenger airbags both deployed. I replaced both airbags, tested the sensors on the front, and had the SDM reprogramed. However, when I installed the SDM the light on the dash did not go out. I had the truck scanned for codes but the scanner couldn't communicate with the SDM, like it isn't programed. I am told it is because the seat belt pretentioners must also be replaced, which I am ready to do, but don't know how to get to them.

Any help is appreciated.
    Craig