1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Removing speed governor

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dajenous, Feb 7, 2008.

1. dajenous

dajenous New Member

I have a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 engine. It appeared to loose power about 92 MPH, but I soon found out there was a factory installed, computer speed governor. I hear that this can be removed by a code change in the computer and that is accomplished by what? Do I need to buy one of the computer diagnosis devices? If so, which one is best, for this task?

2. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Just about any of the off-the-shelf handheld units will be able to remove or increase the speed limiter. Such as Hypertech, Flashpaq, Edge, etc. If you'd also like to see an increase in performance, you might want to look into a custom tune. They're typically about the same price (or cheaper) and offer much better improvements than the handhelds.

3. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yeah but if your just looking to remove the gov, any speed shop with software can do it for you pretty cheap.

4. crane3447

crane3447 Rockstar 100 Posts

I bought a Pomer Pup from bully dog and it did the job quite nice. I ve had my '04 up 195 kph( 120 mph) but I stoped there. Lots left though. Was truning over at around 4300 rpm.

5. TomsHHR

TomsHHR Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

A fellow HHR owner found to get around the 108 mph limit, you shift the auto into "I" gear and stomp it. He has had his at 118 and was able to do more but was smart and slowed down.. He said it would of done over 120.

Me, I am happy with the 75 - 80 range and the better gas mileage..

Yabba Dabba Doosie.... Made it to Post 100..

6. medinac

medinac New Member

need a programer or super chip

am not trying to buy a performance chip i need some one or shop that already has the software for an 07 gmc sierra ...so i able to gt better gs miles and hp....asap dallas tx