Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Removing Tailgate Bowtie from 2010 Silverado

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by jm91rs, Mar 9, 2011.

1. jm91rs

jm91rs New Member

Hi All, New to the site.
    I have a 2010 Silverado with a rear emblem that is bubbling and just looks terrible. Also have a problem with the flex fuel emblem. Both of these are under warranty so I could have them replaced, but I really like the look of the tailgate without the emblems (like the GMC).

I'd like to know how to remove the emblem. It's pretty big and I didn't have any luck on a hot day with fishing line trying to remove it, I didn't try too hard though because it dawned on me that it might be bolted on like the emblems on an older car.

Can you guys tell me if this is just taped on or if I'm going to have to go ahead and have the dealer replace the emblems under warranty (because obviously if it's bolted on I can't just leave 2 holes in my tailgate).

Again, It's a 2010 silverado. I'm sure they've used different methods on different years. I just want it off of there because big gold chevy emblem in the middle of my silver tailgate doesnt look good to me.
  2. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Just try harder.....These bow ties are just double sided tapped on the gate. Try using a heat gun or a hair dryer if you dont have a heat gun.
  3. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yeah man like he said above all they are is double sided tape and just give it a good tug and pull and it will come off. The Front bow tie is the one that uses bolts to hold it in. I recently took my bowties off front and rear and got it color matched powdercoated to match the paint. I like the look without the emblems but it makes the truck look unique to have the emblems match the trucks color just giving you ideas ha
  4. Black & White

Black & White New Member

I am not sure but be careful because I think the tailgate has two holes that keep it lined up. The backside of the bowtie has two studs that fit into the holes. I know the Avalanches are this way, not sure about the Silverados??? Something to watch out for.
  5. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Mine bubbled the 1st winter i had it and just had the dealer replace it.I had thoughts of painting it or removing it but i'm glad i left on as i love the way it looks on my tailgate now.
  6. BigDogTruck

BigDogTruck New Member

I have 2010 Silverado and my tailgate emblem sucked too! Use a heat gun and heat well, then just start to lift up slowly and it will come off. There are no holes behind the emblem. Use WD-40 or Goo Gone to remove the residue of tape. Dealer will replace the emblem under warranty as they are known to be defective. I repalced mine with billet bowties.
    Hope this helps out.
  7. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I would still get the replacement emblem from the dealer and if you don't want it on just tell them you will put it on,if you don't want it on, just hang on to it.The dealer charges $70.00 for them here,so If you ever want it on you will have a new one.
  8. jm91rs

jm91rs New Member

Thanks guys. I got it off. Still working on the sticky residue left behind but I can already tell I'll like it better. I stare at the back end of a GMC Sierra parked outside my work window every day and I've known all along I wanted my tailgate to be cleaner looking without that emblem.

As far as trying to get the emblem, it wasn't possible. I tried 3 different dealers and they all would not give me an emblem without forcing me to have them put the new on. Maybe they can get more money from GM on the warranty claim if they have to include some labor? I didn't want to ever put it back on but I thought maybe I could sell it for a couple of bucks. I had that problem with an old transam that was under recall too for having the wrong tail lights. I didnt trust the dealer handling my collector car and wanted to do it myself (4 screws on each light), they all said no new lights if I dont let them do the work.

I'll still have to have them replace the flex fuel emblem, and I went ahead and bought a billet powder coated black bowtie for the front grill. Might as well get rid of the gold on my truck when it matches absolutely nothing.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I used a spatula and a hair dryer.
  9. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hey man just get some adhesive remover you can get it at any auto part store and it will get all the residue off with a couple of wipes.
  10. kwikchevy

kwikchevy New Member

This is a little off subject but in the same vein, I've been searching for a replacement for my steering wheel emblem. From what I have seen you have to remove the airbag asembly to take it off and put on a new one because there are tabs that need to be folded back under. I don't think I want to tackle that job for a few scratches. Anyway while I was searching I ran across this place that has a vinyl overlay bowtie for all the emblems on the truck, they come in different colors and it looks like an inexpensive way to change things up a little. Don't know anything else about them though. Here's the link:

http://www.reflectiveconcepts.com/p...t_info.html?osCsid=kghqo0h5g8tjfnv8ucvcttprg6

As for my steering wheel emblem the problem isn't the bowtie it's the black around it that is scratched up. I think I'm going to mask it all off and spray it black just to clean it up some, then I might try one of those sticker overlays I saw.