Removing wiper arm

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Cableguy, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was trying to get the wiper arms off my truck to paint them today.

1996 GMC Sierra

After I pulled back the little clip, the arm won't let go of the spindle shaft?
    Any ideas? besides a BFH (Fiero) Is there a puller for this? I'm pretty sure there is no nut under the arm.

2. Gmcsuvguy

Gmcsuvguy Rockstar 100 Posts

It is probably corroded a bit, just try wiggling it while pulling on it, it should come off if the tab is pulled out far enough.

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

There are two main ways to change out these arms. One is a direct slip-in male to female type connection. The other is the push-in the connector and slip off the reverse "C" fitting with some finese.

I have seen these get corroded and be a bear to change. Get some WD-40 and hit that puppy and see it's it breaks free.

4. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

actaully im happy u brought this up cuz ive been thinking of painting mine... what are u using for paint??

5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

KYRLON BABY!

I dare you actually to be creative on this and do some type of tie-dye or something. ;-)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  6. Cableguy

Thanks guys, the passenger side was a bit of a stretch but it did pry off spindle with a piece of 1x2 under it. I painted it with tremclad black after a light sanding with emery cloth.

Now I suppose you monkeys wants pictures now don't ya :rofl:

I'll put them back on tonight, maybe snap a pic or 2

7. Pete95Sierra

haha this monkey would enjoy pictures for sure.... and yea I was just thinkin a gloss black for mine tie-dye doesnt really go with the green silver paint scheme :rofl:

8. Cableguy

Peeling paint

[​IMG]

To clean as a whip (No pun intended)

[​IMG]

And an extra shot for good luck...

[​IMG]

9. Pete95Sierra

alright looks good!!! defiinitely gonna be doin that sometime soon

10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

ditto... my wiper arms look pretty crutty, but then again, so does the rest of the truck.... :grrrrrr: