1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Removing wiper arm

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Cableguy, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was trying to get the wiper arms off my truck to paint them today.

1996 GMC Sierra

After I pulled back the little clip, the arm won't let go of the spindle shaft?
    Any ideas? besides a BFH (Fiero) Is there a puller for this? I'm pretty sure there is no nut under the arm.
  2. Gmcsuvguy

Gmcsuvguy Rockstar 100 Posts

It is probably corroded a bit, just try wiggling it while pulling on it, it should come off if the tab is pulled out far enough.
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

There are two main ways to change out these arms. One is a direct slip-in male to female type connection. The other is the push-in the connector and slip off the reverse "C" fitting with some finese.

I have seen these get corroded and be a bear to change. Get some WD-40 and hit that puppy and see it's it breaks free.
  4. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

actaully im happy u brought this up cuz ive been thinking of painting mine... what are u using for paint??
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

KYRLON BABY!

I dare you actually to be creative on this and do some type of tie-dye or something. ;-)
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  6. Cableguy

Thanks guys, the passenger side was a bit of a stretch but it did pry off spindle with a piece of 1x2 under it. I painted it with tremclad black after a light sanding with emery cloth.

Now I suppose you monkeys wants pictures now don't ya :rofl:

I'll put them back on tonight, maybe snap a pic or 2
  7. Pete95Sierra

haha this monkey would enjoy pictures for sure.... and yea I was just thinkin a gloss black for mine tie-dye doesnt really go with the green silver paint scheme :rofl:
  8. Cableguy

Peeling paint

[​IMG]

To clean as a whip (No pun intended)

[​IMG]

And an extra shot for good luck...

[​IMG]
  9. Pete95Sierra

alright looks good!!! defiinitely gonna be doin that sometime soon
  10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

ditto... my wiper arms look pretty crutty, but then again, so does the rest of the truck.... :grrrrrr: