Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Rent a Cap?

Discussion in 'North America - Canada' started by Big_Ben, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Rockstar 100 Posts

Anyone know of any places in Ontario that allow you to rent a cap for your truck?

I'm going to be moving from Northwestern Ontario to Southeastern Ontario next Christmas, and as I live in a small apartment I'm confident that I can pull this off with the largest U-Haul trailer available and my truck. However, it has occurred to me that I MAY need to use the bed for some of my belongings, and while I do have a few things that I can throw back there that won't get hurt by rain, snow, sleet etc. I may have to put more than just a couple of things back there. A cap would be greatly beneficial and allow for quite a bit more to be thrown back there.

I was considering just buying a cap, but I have no place to store it when not in use and am not a fan of how trucks look with them on.

I guess the other issue is the factor of the one-way drive. At least with U-Haul I can pay a fee and leave the trailer at my destination. I'm assuming even if there is a place that rents truck caps, I would have to drive the cap back to them when finished.

...Maybe it would be better to just suck it up and buy one?

2. Dirtydeeds

Dirtydeeds New Member

If it's a short run and you can't just tarp the whole load then perhaps you could use tarp and wood? Basically you use 2x4's make a rectangle as high as the cab, cover it with the tarp, fold and staple where needed making sure to tuck the tarp under the bottom so it sits between the wood and your truck rail. Clamp it down over your stuff. Cheap c-clamps would work to hold it. Don't worry about the back door, just tarp that or cut it out and staple a new piece on. It's won't win any beauty contest but it's only for a few days right?

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You might also look on craigslist for a used cap and then sell it when you're done with it. That way you're in for less cost and when you're done you haven't lost much if anything on the use of it.