Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Repaint

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by tryst7308, Feb 28, 2014.

1. tryst7308

tryst7308 New Member

I have a 1994 chevy suburban silverado and currently its white but the paint is coming off an dyou can see the galvanized steel body i want to paint it a hunter green to go with the tan trim what would be the best way to repaint this so that the paint stays on and does not peel off like the original paint has? any suggestions would be appreciated. the truck can be seen in my garage. also what modifications should i add to make this my bug out vehicle if the SHTF?

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Make sure you use a clear coat after you do the base paint. All the white trucks from the late 90's didn't have a clear coat so the paint peels off. My truck has a similar issue not at extreme but the hood and fenders are a mess. As long as you get a solid base coat and then clear coat it there shouldn't be an issue.

3. tryst7308

tryst7308 New Member

Thanks I just really dont get why they did that but i will be sure to clear coat it.

4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Think about it. If you're a huge company and you make say 100,000+ white trucks which have paint that on its own is shiny and smooth why spend potentially another $500 per truck to do a clear coat. It saves over 50 million dollars. It was all about cost saving.

5. tryst7308

tryst7308 New Member

good point

6. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Surface prep and a good primer is a must have.

7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Wrap it.... PART_1393640201336.jpg This Audi R8 w-10 was Black then back to Silver now is going white and we did the Red inside and did the wheels..