1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Repair Help - Silverado misfires in several cylinders

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by chadhenry, Nov 14, 2007.

1. chadhenry

chadhenry New Member

Hi All!

I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 4.8L with 95,000 miles. I’ve been having problems with misfires in several cylinders. I replaced all wires and plugs. I’ve been told that I need to replace the ignition coils on cylinders 1, 3, and 5. What is the placement of cylinders 1, 3, and 5 for this engine? Is there any other reason for misfires?

Thanks!
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

copied over to powertrain
  3. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site.
    My Wife's 2001 Suburban had the very same problem and after new plugs, wires, and fuel filter, I finally took it to the dealer and it turned out to be a bad coil pack on one of the cylinders. They changed it out and the Burban runs like a champ!

I found them here for $42 if you are interested.
  4. Sooner

Sooner Rockstar

The cylinders are lined up 1-3-5-7 on the driver's side starting from the front of the engine. What told you the coils were bad? I've never seen several coil packs go bad at once. And, when it goes bad, it usually stops firing completely. I have seen mutiple injectors that were partially or completely clogged causing misfires. Check out the bulletin on this link, it may be your problem.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-22261.html
  5. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My Burban was throwing random cylinder misfire codes all because of 1 bad coil pack.