Repair older vehicle or buy new?

Discussion in 'POLLing place' started by ChevyFan, Nov 17, 2008.

?

Repair or Buy New?

1. Repair - The credit crunch makes it unfavorable to buy new

34 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. 50/50 - It just depends on how much work needs to be done.

53 vote(s)
    54.6%
  3. New - I'd rather have a new reliable vehicle than worry about my old vehicle

10 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

Given the current economic environment, I'm just curious if you would rather fix your existing vehicle, even if the repairs might be costly, or buy a new vehicle?
    1 person likes this.
  2. Akula682

Akula682 New Member

I went with the 50/50, it just depends on how much work needs to be done and how much work you want to put into it... as soon as i get the chance i am going to rebuild an old F-100, Old Mustang, and an Old Bel Air (53-57) and an early 50's model Chevy Truck... here is the twist, I am going to put Diesel engines in all of them.
    1 person likes this.
  3. bry2500

bry2500 New Member

went 50/50. The credit crunch can actually benefit the purchase of a new vehicle. If you have the ability to get a new vehicle the prices are lower and if you credit score is good the financing options are really great right now. but if you don't fit into this category fix it. Sometimes nothing beats a good old truck!
  4. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member

I am doing my part to keep the economy flowing. My last F-150 was barely 2 years old when I dumped it. I'll keep this for a couple more years and get another one. Just a 3500 instead of the 2500.
  5. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member

Voted 50/50.
  6. CoolBlueSS

CoolBlueSS New Member

I went with repair it, but I guess it would really depend. If it's an old beater that you really don't care about then replace it. But, most of us probably become attached to our vehicles, as enthusiasts. I will never again buy new, though.
  7. Mikes90burb

Mikes90burb New Member

I agree, tho im more partial to fixing the old girl up. ( the truck ....not the wife ) . It may take a long time and some money. But the pride you have in fixing it up and doing your own personal touches on it are priceless.
  8. 00z71

00z71 New Member

I voted 50/50 as well. Working as a tech in a GM Dealership i see both sides of this question. Alot of customers are hesitant to dump money into an older vehicle and rather cut their losses and trade off for either a new or gently used vehicle. Myself I am very attached to my Z71 and would and will fix whatever ends up breaking.
  9. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator

I vote for repair, though it doesn't have anything to do with the credit crunch (I pay cash for my vehicles). Basically every time I put pencil to paper, I figure that $30k to buy new will buy an awful lot of parts and labor to fix up the one I've got.

Buying used throws a wrinkle into the analysis, but I usually find I would either be spending a lot more than it would cost to fix or I could be buying something with the same # of miles and all the possible issues that come with a "new" used car.

Usually the only reasons I find for me to buy another car is when the existing one no longer meets my needs or if it's collision type damage that often is difficult to get fixed right.
  10. BurbStone

BurbStone New Member

I'd say it depends. I am not too handy, nor do I have much time, but if I am comfortable with it, I'd rather go used and save the money.
  11. JMoney02

JMoney02 New Member

50/50, car payment/no car payment, warranty/no warranty. Repair bills/no repair bills. You will always have maintenance so theres no choice there. Used is still new, right? You never owned it before, so its new to you now.....

Jeff
  12. TheChadders

TheChadders New Member

I voted 50/50 i really think they both have their advantages such as new vehicle will be reliable for a while but you could always build the older car and im one for rebuilding vehicles!
  13. ibmoses

ibmoses New Member

I spent most of the weekend trying to fix the heated seat on mu wife's 99 Riviera. She loves that car. Problem is when it comes time to replace the Riv she is going to want a luxury car like the Riv. But they dont make anything like it anymore...

Bert
  14. heaviechevie

heaviechevie New Member

I went 50/50. I have an 86 with some rust but I just can't see parting with the old girl. At some point money for repairs will become an issue with me, right now they are with the wife but she just doesn't understand. :lol:Lets see ..... need new doors (current ones have patch work), need right front fender (banged up), and I could use the right bedside (have a hole patched there too). Now since we're on the cost of parts .... just bought new 31" tires and stock rims (have 33" but cut back on money), headers, new dual exhaust, and carb. Going to get above mentioned parts plus new 33" tires so I can put alum. rims back on and a motor. Difference between old faithfull and a new one ..... no payment and it gets put the way I want it to look. Not to mention the price for aftermarket parts for a newer truck are alot more than what they cost for the older one. I can't lie tho I have been looking at newer ones.
  15. garagegoon

garagegoon New Member

I am going with repair at the moment. I have bought three new vehicles in the last 10 years, the 2005 Silverado being the latest. I have become attached to this truck and am goin to drive it till the wheels fall off. Then, im goin to fix it and keep on keepin on.... :glasses:
  16. Dan

Dan New Member

with all the deals on new GM cars and trucks and if your in a positive way with a trade in or no trade in go new i just priced a 2008 long bed wt 1500 with the 4.3 9500.00 +tax and title that is with all rebates and dealer discounts applied the problem is i owed more than my 2006 was worth so i keep my 2006 for a couple more years
  17. APSK7429

APSK7429 New Member

Voted 50/50, but it really just depends on how good of a deal I could work out. Cost of repairs matter too. I guess for me it is all a matter of what makes the best sense at the time...
  18. ChevyPrincess

ChevyPrincess New Member

i went with repair my old truck. regardless of the economy and all that. id rather have an old truck that i can fix then all that computerized bs that you can hardly do an oil change yourself on.
  19. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member

id say it depends on the work that needs to be done. so 50/50
  20. highmilageklr

highmilageklr New Member

I voted repair but not because of the credit crunch, I just hate to leave a vehicle that I have grown so attached to. I drive them and repair them untill they just aren't worth the cost of repairs, and somtimes even then I have been known to just start over and completely rebuild. I put over $7k in a '85 KL 600 over a period of 3 years and replaced it with a new '06 KLR 650 for $4500, even then I put alot of the stuff from the '85 on the '06. Am I sick? I don't feel sick.