1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Replace 2nd row bench with buckets

Discussion in 'Chevy Express Forum (GMC Savana)' started by carter3of3, Mar 6, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. carter3of3

carter3of3 New Member

I would like to to replace the 2nd row bench seat with two bucket seats. Not sure why this is not offered as an option.

2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the Club! Are you looking for opinions on if or how you should do this? If so, please provide details about your ride so people can provide the best responses possible.

I've heard of people doing this to install a box or make room for other items....out of curiosity, why do you want to replace the bench?

3. carter3of3

carter3of3 New Member

I need to replace my current full size van and going to order in the next month or two. The best choice is the Express or Savana with AWD. The regular use of the vehicle is for long trips with a max of 6 full size adults. having seats that recline would help make the long drives more comfortable.

I am looking for a solution to replace the bench seat right behind the front bucket seats with two bucket seats. I want to avoid a conversion van. But I figure those van conversion company's have some extra front bucket seats.

Has anyone tried this? Any ideas, plans, or part numbers would be helpful.

What about removing the bench seat from the frame and mounting two front buckets to that frame?

On a another note: 1500 Express and Savana passenger vans are very hard to find in my area, and AWD is non-existent.

Thanks for help!

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What's the Year/Make/Model of vehicle that you have? It would help us if you could put that in your signature.

5. mfleetwood

Gotcha....I thought you were actually asking in regards to a truck. I'm not familiar the Express or Savana, so I can't help you. Hopefully, someone will be along soon who is though and will be able to provide you some answers/guidance.

Good luck!

6. Bradj

Bradj New Member

Are you still looking for captains seats? What color and material are you looking for?

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think a truck with this option might be kinda cool. :)

8. mfleetwood

That would be an interesting option, especially for those that want to do more custom and/or audio work to the interior. Also, if it were an option, it would make it a heck of a lot easier for someone to convert the bench to buckets.

9. jinsei

jinsei New Member

Interesting mod inside the vehicle and I would also do it if I have a Savana. I don’t usually go for the conventional vehicle design so this option (if will be available in the future) is really cool.

10. newsie23

newsie23 New Member

I looked in to using bucket seats, also. There was a 01 -02 Savana/Express model with mid-buckets, but the floor brackets were different. I wanted to be able to put the buckets - row 2, one side, row 3, the other side, to carry plywood etc., between the seats. I installed row 4 floor brackets and belts in anticipation of this, but never got (found) the seats - but often put the (park) bench seat, in the row 4 position. Recently, I also determined that the 01-02 seats were from the Astro van, with different floor brackets. I never followed thru.

I live north of Toronto; and have a AWD 03 passenger van with just 56000 KM, sunroof, left doors, most options (not tilt & cruise, rear heat/air). The local wholesaler offered me $2000 (I left immediately, he followed). I have had the van, to carry a snowmobile inside - when I visit a metropolis, etc., as I live in a water access location. I can no longer load/unload the snowmobile, after a lung operation! It is available - It will likely be gone, shortly.