Replace AC Compressor and purge system

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by mc2forever, Jun 16, 2009.

1. mc2forever

mc2forever New Member

I have a '90 model Chevy K1500 and my compressor started knocking which indicated it's little piston is shot. That also leads me to believe that there is a good possibility that there are metal shavings in the rest of the AC system. All the books I have say that the procedure to purge and clean the system are out of the scope of the book. I have purchased a new kit with the compressor, orifice, and other parts except the hoses and connectors. Does anyone have a step-by-step procedure on how to remove, clean and replace the system? I plan to take it to a shop to have the system evacuated and refilled once I have completed the install. They want $1350 :gasp: to do the entire job :gasp: but only $ 80 for the evac and refill. Many thanks in advance from a first time poster. Criticism welcomed and probably deserved. :)
    Mike.....

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. crane557

crane557 Rockstar 100 Posts

Wish I could help, I need to purge my old system and convert it. Good Luck I'm sure someone can help.

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The A/C shop can flush your system, install an inline filter, evacuate, recharge and perform a leak check. Make sure you take it to a good A/c shop rather than a Monkey Lube that recharges as a side line.
    I hope you bought an A/C Delco compressor. The cheaper rebuilt units just do not last and even though they have a lifetime guarantee the cost of labor and freon makes them more expensive then if you had bought the Delco unit to begin with.

4. mc2forever

mc2forever New Member

Thanks for the advice

Thanks Jimmee, I got the Delco parts and intend to do the install mysel (except for the purge and refill). I just need to know what order I should remover the old parts and install the new part. I will need to clean all the hoses and ancillary equipment myself. They want an extra $100 to do that. Is there anything online that I could go to for a step-by-step procedure of the de-install and reinstall of the system. Or, can I jsut rip it all out like a mad man and replace whatever parts I feel like first. I'm sure that's not a good idea, but I don't have and can't find any instruction.

Thanks so much for both replies.
    Mike.....

5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It doesn't matter what order you take it apart. Most repair manuals have a section on cleaning and flushing the system.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Here's an article I found quickly.

http://www.aircondition.com/tech/questions/25/

I would pull the orifice tube and take a look at it, it would give a quick picture. The article debates flushing the evaporator, I can imagine much getting in there. I might pull the lines from the compressor to condenser, condenser to evaporator (you need to this anyway to get the orifice tube out), pull the accumulator (which you MUST replace), and the suction line back to the compressor. Blow them out with compressed air, and put it together with the new compressor and accumulator. You might as well get a new orifice tube, it will have a filter. The article mentions pouring your AC lube directly in the suction port of the compressor and turning it over by hand. I like that idea. Fill it with R134 and you should be ready to roll.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

7. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

Get an orifice tube out of a Ford. A/C will run cooler.Don't blow compressed air into your system, you'll only be putting moisture into the system.

8. PrestonM

PrestonM New Member

I know this is a few months old, but I have an 84 Chevy half ton with factory air. I need to replace the compressor and I was wondering if the Ford orifice tube will work in mine as well. If it does, which part number do I need? Thanks in advance,

Preston