Replace Fuel Pump - Drop the Tank or Raise the Bed??

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by berg, Feb 17, 2010.

1. berg

berg Member

After reading other threads and doing some diagnosing I'm pretty sure my fuel pump is on its way out on my 99 GMC Sierra Classic 5.7L.

Mine is a SWB with about a 25gal tank. Unfortunately the tank is almost full right now! I may be able to drive it out before the pump totally gives up but either way I'm wondering for those who have already done this job - would it be easier or less time consuming to drop an almost empty tank and replace the fuel pump, or to unbolt and raise the bed to get to it?

Thanks.

2. BASSIST

BASSIST Rockstar 100 Posts

Remove the bed. It's much easier than dropping the tank

3. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

there's a how-to that shows one of the members setting up his dual exhaust and he lifted the bed off. It might help you a litle

4. Chad01

Chad01 Member

Right on... It's easier and quicker to remove the bed...

5. lancer

lancer Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

take the bed!!!!

6. jdpromo33

jdpromo33 New Member

http://www.ehow.com/how_5931494_change-tahoe-fuel-sending-unit.html

7. mountaindan

mountaindan New Member

Cut an access hole through the bed. You can cut an square hole through the bed and then either wekd it back in place or secure some ledges for the panel to rest on and screw it back down. It's not that hard, I know of a few people who have done it this way.

8. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That almost seems like more work then just taking the bed off though, and then you have to problem of a cut-up bed.