replace lifters or clean?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Indyandy, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Indyandy

Indyandy Member

2000 K2500 454 173k miles

Just need a few more answers on this subject. I've decided to give a cleaning one more try before I have to tear down the engine. So question 1: Should I try Seafoam in the oil or ATF? I am leaning toward Seafoam. How long should I leave it in? 500 miles? Right now I will have to drain some oil out because it is a quart overfull with the other additives that I put in already.

Question 2: Do the lifters need to be replaced or can they be cleaned? What causes them to go bad? Do they get dirty and just stick in the cylinder or is there a seal inside that leaks?

Money is tight, but I need my truck. If I need to replace them I will. Any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance. Andy

2. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

1) Seafoam couldn't hurt. ATF will wash a lot of crud into the oil pump pickup, so I wouldn't recommend it.
    2) As for causes, they usually just wear out. If they're stuck, the Seafoam should help. As for replacing them, they're pretty cheap. It's just a little time-consuming. But I'd try cleaning them and adjusting the rocker arms first.