1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

replace lifters or clean?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Indyandy, Apr 13, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Indyandy

Indyandy Member

2000 K2500 454 173k miles

Just need a few more answers on this subject. I've decided to give a cleaning one more try before I have to tear down the engine. So question 1: Should I try Seafoam in the oil or ATF? I am leaning toward Seafoam. How long should I leave it in? 500 miles? Right now I will have to drain some oil out because it is a quart overfull with the other additives that I put in already.

Question 2: Do the lifters need to be replaced or can they be cleaned? What causes them to go bad? Do they get dirty and just stick in the cylinder or is there a seal inside that leaks?

Money is tight, but I need my truck. If I need to replace them I will. Any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance. Andy

2. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

1) Seafoam couldn't hurt. ATF will wash a lot of crud into the oil pump pickup, so I wouldn't recommend it.
    2) As for causes, they usually just wear out. If they're stuck, the Seafoam should help. As for replacing them, they're pretty cheap. It's just a little time-consuming. But I'd try cleaning them and adjusting the rocker arms first.