1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Replaced My Mirror Caps

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by blacknight97, Jan 28, 2012.

1. blacknight97

blacknight97 Rockstar 100 Posts

hey guys, figured id update you on things i've done with my truck. today i received the mirror cap replacements i ordered to replace the chrome mirror caps i had on, i felt like my truck had too much chrome and i wanted to black it out a bit more. im very happy with how it came out, installation took under 5 minutes, simple snap off and snap on. let me know what you thnk!
    -luis

mirrorcaps.jpg
  2. JnBama

JnBama Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Tried to reply with a quote but it wouldn't work. yes the black covers look good, thinking about top half chrome covers for mine
  3. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

They look good man i was going to do that with my stock mirrors but decided to get the Tow mirrors with every option along with turn signals. The turn signals i smoked completly and sometime this year goin to get my buddy to color match and paint them for me should look sick! Anyway looks good man if you got the regular textured door handles get them color matched too that's what i did and looks much better also.
  4. blacknight97

yeah i was definitely thinking about swapping door handles, a buddy of mine that owns a body shop said he could do them for 250 but i dont have money for them now, are they difficult to do yourself or should i pay the 250 and have him do it?
  5. 747

747 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

That looks nice! Im going to paint my plastic mirror caps soon. How did you take them off?
  6. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yeah man you can order some off of ebay for cheaper than that wither used in very good shape or brand new. I bought mine off of ebay i think i paid like $115 for used ones that really werent used that was on a truck from a dealership that barely had 5k miles on it so they were like new. I paid cheaper because i have a extended cab and only needed the driver and passenger door handles along with tailgate handle. I installed them myself they were'nt that hard at all. I would say just do some looking on ebay and can get them cheaper. I have a bill me later account so i dont have to pay out of pocket right away though.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

All you need is something really thin to get to pry the mirror cap and from there be careful popping it off because there just held on by plastic clips but all in all very easy to do.

7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

[MENTION=51662]747[/MENTION],
    I found this on another forum. Supposedly it works for Tahoes/Yukons so I figure it should work for our trucks. I cleaned the copy up (substantially) for readability, as it was written in porrly-punctuated sentence fragments and broken into a set of segmented posts that didn't make sense unless the whole thread was read/followed. Maybe this will help you:

• Fold the mirror in against the body.
    • Repeatedly give the cap a good whap with base of your palm just above the pivot area of the mirror. Start just above the pivot or hinge of the mirror ... on the vertical portion of the sharp body line of the upper cover. The direction of motion - with the mirror folded in - would be from the front to the rear of the truck.
    • This should dislodge both the upper and lower halves of the mirror cover, together, so you can see the retainers to seperate the halves.
    • Reinstall the lower portion on the mirror.
    • Put on your new/painted upper cover.
    Source: http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28869

Someone who read the original thread and used the method, above, posted this about it:
    "Folks, this flat out WORKS. This is, bar far, the easiest way to get to the mirror cap tabs without breaking anything ... but a sequence of raps in that direction just coaxes the covers off. The pain from there is separating the top cap from the lower cap -- but at least you can see each tab and access everything from there (you'll need to unclip three tabs). Thanks again for the method. Excellent."
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  8. MoBillyAla

MoBillyAla Rockstar 100 Posts

I like the way the new caps look on your truck as well. I have considered either the chrome or matched for my truck and not sure if either would look better. I kinda think that the all black blends in with my tinted windows..
    But your new caps look great!
  9. 747

747 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Ive done lots of research and havent found a method as effective to remove the mirror caps as the one Surreal found. Im going to try this on my truck!
  10. blacknight97

yeah i would deffinately do that method because i just kind of pry'd mine off and the clips broke off the old ones, (i didnt care cuz i didnt want them) so be careful cuz the clips are fragile.