Replaced pitman arm now wheel won't turn right-PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by usetaboost, Jul 25, 2010.

Newest Photos

1. usetaboost

usetaboost New Member

after struggling for two hours to get the arm off, I got the new one on and the steering wheel will not turn right at all. It isn't even hooked up to the centerlink. I put the arm on in the same spot. WHAT HAPPENED? THe only thing I can think of is something got messed up in the column from me moving the gear box around. ANY help would be appreciated. My truck is sitting halfway out the garage and it's getting dark
  2. 38racn

38racn New Member

With your wheel to the extreme right, turn to extreme left counting the rotations (usually 3 to 4 turns). Turn back to the right half way, then center steering wheel. Your pitman arm probably has a double spline, turn the steering wheel just enough so the pitman arm is installed centered. Make sure your wheels are pointed straight. I don't know how but it sounds like your gearbox is sitting at it's right limit.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

I know you'll figure this out, so please let us know. I've never had this happen so i'm curious if my reply has helped.
  3. usetaboost

usetaboost New Member

Screwed around with it for an hour. Finally I had the wife come out while I unbolted EVERYTHING and had her turn the wheel. Guess what, it moved. Don't know what the hell happened. Maybe something got hung up somewhere, I don't know. THe idler was a piece of cake, the pitman was a freakin nightmare the whole way through. I've never had that much trouble doing front end parts. But it's done, no more clunking while turning and going over bumps. Steering feels pretty damn good. Can't wait to take it down the interstate.

Yeah it's been a bad weekend for me and my vehicles. Saturday I took the WE4 to a car show and the intercooler shroud mysteriously fell off. Drove around for over an hour looking for it. Then the drama with the truck. AND to top it all off right after I put the pitman arm on for the 2nd time my air hose broke at the end and whipped me right in the face! I was gonna try to make a custom fiberglass intercooler shroud for my car today but the truck got 8 hours of my divided attention today. Relieved its over but it ended up ruining my day.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well glad you got it figured out.. Gotta love when Murphy steps in Huh???:lol:
  5. usetaboost

usetaboost New Member

Yeah I should try to get too pissed about it. After all I saved 200 bucks by doing it myself
  6. murdog94

Exactly and the WE4 can eat that im sure just with one run down the strip. I did a Heater core on my buddies truck last winter (dodge quoted him at $1100 to do it) We did it for $69. But his wifes Artic Cat Snowpro (yep she rides crazier than any of us) ate two Cylinders, and two pistons, in one week.. At a tune of $250 a piece for the cylinder, and $100 per piston, he ate that savings.. Quite funny in a sad way:lol:

I wanna see some pics of the WE4 though..
  7. usetaboost

usetaboost New Member

IT's nothin pretty yet. Frame off part is done, I have all the parts to finish it, just gotta get it there. Let me see if I got any good pics of it.
  8. murdog94

I prefer a "work in progress" anyday to a show car.. a work in progress is a lot more fun to DRIVE not putt around in.
  9. usetaboost

usetaboost New Member

10. murdog94

Looking good so far on that one... I love those old G-bodys but im not a car guy i prefer trucks.. I own 3 at the moment..