1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Replacement cam causing starting/running issues

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by wiles S, Jun 12, 2012.

1. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

...1988 350.. were those tbi and computered? was thinking it shouldn't be, but i haven't dealt with that year model truck really.

if that were the case then i could see it being the issue as well. hopefully someone will chime in on it also soon.
  2. Chris Miller

Chris Miller New Member

They had OBD-I systems, which could still be finicky with a big cam.
  3. 08_rado_rocker

Ahh.. 10-4. Good to know thanks.

Hope this guy figures out his problem
  4. wiles S

wiles S New Member

the intake was 204 and the exhaust was 214 i know the stock intake is like 194 but i put the cam in myself. im ready to tear the front apart just to double check the timing but when i put a light on it the line is all over the place
  5. 08_rado_rocker

Is this your first cam install? (just out of curiosity) and what brand cam is it? Did it come with the timing gear pre-installed?
  6. wiles S

wiles S New Member

ya it is the first one i did and it was a summit racing brand i just used the gear off the old cam but i went back and checked everything. im thinking i need more fuel
  7. Chris Miller

Chris Miller New Member

Did you remember to disconnect the timing wire when you checked it? That would cause the line to jump when you put a light on it.
    On that one it should be in the relay box on the firewall. It's a tan wire with a black stripe.