1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

replacement Driveshaft Center Bearing quality???

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by vanhoand, Aug 31, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. vanhoand

vanhoand New Member

Any one have any thoughts on the aftermarket driveshaft center bearings you can get from the parts stores? I found one for like $25 at advance auto but it wasn't a factory replacement. It was about $60 cheaper than the other one they had that looked identical to the factory one that went bad on the truck... Are the cheaper ones junk??? Does it matter???

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Theres at least 30 companies that sell replacement carrier bearings, who knows how many of them are from the same manufacturer and rebranded for sale.
    There hasnt been any one brand thats had a lot of complaints, most of them offer a limited warranty, this is one of those items that you take your chances with, it could last 3 days or it could last 30 years no way head of time to tell what it's gonna do.
    I've been searching for years for a company that makes one with a zert fitting so it can serviced, unfortunately manufacturers have gone to service free bearings. Funny on older trucks (pre 80's) the manufacturer thought it was a good idea to lube these and had had a zert fitting on them.

3. vanhoand

vanhoand New Member

yeah, i caved and went expensive... the housing looked quite a bit tougher and it appeared to be a direct replacment although they both had the same warranty. Who knows. I probably got suckered in on this one.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You'll never know and after a while it wont matter, the real proof is as long as the part last's and doesnt fail leaving you stranded somewhere, if it can do that it was money well spent.