Replacement engine, cost

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Ronny, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Ronny

Ronny Rockstar

Hey hey.
    I have a 98 Suburban LT 5700 Vortec with a broken engine.
    Just popping a quick question regards prize of a replacement engine, factory overhauled one or similar, or just a new block for it. The one I have has a cracked block.....otherwise the engine was working like a charm.
    In Norway I have heard that the price for a factory overhauled engine is about NOK 25000 which is approx. $4300.
    This is a complete engine but without all attached equipment as A\C, alternator, starter, air filter and so on.

anyone now what this will cost me in the US, or other places as well ?

2. CHEVELLEBOY

CHEVELLEBOY New Member

Here in the states those blocks are a dime a dozen. If you have any engine building skills you might want to consider putting one together yourself. I built one not too long ago and its a very simple build. I had mine bored out .30 over and installed some RHS heads with 58cc combustion chambers and everything else stock. I never got around to installing it, but supposedly the numbers were going to be around 320 hp and over 400 torque.

But if you do decide to build it yourself, and if you use stock used heads, make sure you have them checked for cracks. The vortec heads are famous for cracking. Aftermarket heads generally have a heavier casting and are much more resistant to cracking.

3. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Hes right. You can find parts for a chevy 350 everywhere and for cheap.

4. Ronny

Ronny Rockstar

Thanks guys, yeah, I reckoned it would be quite cheap in the US. I have to consider to buy and import I think.I have been doing quite a bit of mechanics myself earlier.......so it shouldn`t be too hard to put it all together.....well....I think, LOL.

5. Ronny

Ronny Rockstar

Yeah...I have to check during this week what it would cost.
    What I need is basically just the block including the "interior", as it would save me a lot of time just to sort of swap a new block on my excisting one.
    I am also still checking around in Norway for wrecked cars with complete engine, but burbs don`t wreck easily...lol. Not too many of them.
    Can you guys recommend me any shop to pop the question too ?
    They don`t have to ship internationally as long as they ship within the US, as I have a adress in the US.

6. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

True, Suburbans are hard to wreck and take a beating but you can look for more than wrecked Suburbans, Chevy and GMC trucks also have the same motor as your 'burb.

7. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Don't do any switch or buy just a block-BUY AN ENTIRE NEW GM GOODWRENCH ENGINE.

At Pace performance paceperformance.com or something like that is the web address you can buy an entire NEW-NOT REBUILT- motor for $2150
    This is a genuine GM motor-exactly the same motor you have in your truck-no BS rebuild.

You just put your intake manifold exhaust mainfold and waterpump on-and distributor on accessories(ac, alternator power steering etc) and that is it etc. In fact you can get a kit with all new or rebuilt accessories(alt,ac, power steering-for another $800 or so).Not sure if it comes with harmonic balancer-use your own if it doesn't.

You will need to buy an entire gasket kit-

Now it is heavy-maybe 600-650 lbs in the crate.

I live outside New Orleans-for $2300 I could get this motor delivered to my curbside.
    I'm guessing your shipping would be high-maybe $1500- but it still would be better than buying a junkyard motor or a local rebuild.

Pace Performance and quite a few others sell these GM motors at a discount. I think they call them something or other 31- two different motors(for 96-99 trucks SUVs) depends on the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle.Crate engine depot might be another company.

Get NEW GM motor if at all possible.My 1998 Suburban has 212,100 miles on it(almost 300,000km) and the motor still runs great.I bought it with 195,000 miles on it 3 years ago.It gets 21 mpg on long hy trips.
    The factory motors are very good.
    Luck
    Charlie

8. Ronny

Ronny Rockstar

Thanks for that Phoebeisis......i will definetely give it a thought.
    I guess i also have to check with customs here if I have to pay horsepower tax on it, as it is a complete engine. (You know, in Norway they have put all kinda stupid taxes on car stuff).
    But regards just getting a block, do you think it would create problems with the engine just changing that one instead of replacing the entire thingy.?

9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

So, you have to pay an extra duty on an entire engine, but not on just the block?

By block do you mean the entire lower part of the motor-block, crank, pistons-more or less everything but the heads?

Sure you can match your heads to a good lower part of motor-we call that a "short block"

Life would be easier if you could just put an entire matched engine in, but good heads are fine on a good lower end.

Charlie

10. Ronny

Ronny Rockstar

Yeah, that`s correct phoebeisis.
    As I have understood here in Norway correctly, if I import a "complete" engine, I have to pay tax.
    But if I take just a block (Complete with crank, pistons and so on), I don`t have to pay tax as it is classified as parts, spareparts.....which means just "common" tax which is about 25% of the amount I paid for it.
    In Norway they want all sorts of taxes on all you can imagine.

i have one that is VERY interested in the car, but he is wondering regards welding the crack, just so he can drive it home, so that`s what I am checking now. Crossing everything I have that I can selll it as I seriously need the space outside my driveway, hehe.