1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

replacing bed rail covers

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by chevyman2004, May 16, 2010.

1. chevyman2004

chevyman2004 Rockstar 100 Posts

has anyone taken off their old bed rail covers and replaced with new? my existing rail covers seem to have shrunk and are popping up on the ends. that will be be a problem when i get to installing my tonneau cover. anyone have any experience on how-to?
  2. gator_silverado

gator_silverado New Member

you talking about bed caps like these?

Attached Files:

3. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 Rockstar 100 Posts

If you let the truck sit out in the sun for a while, the warmth ought to soften up the foam tape holding the old ones on, and you can just snatch them off. Take a little rubbing alcohol and something wooden, like a tongue depressor or popsicle stick and clean off the old adhesive and accumulated crud on the rail tops. Then put on a couple of coats of wax and you should be done.
  4. chevyman2004

chevyman2004 Rockstar 100 Posts

yeah gator that's what i'm talking about but mine don't fit near as well as yours. I don't know what brand they are but they look really cheap to me, but they were already on the truck when i bought it so i would like to replace them with some really good ones, any suggestions on which to buy?
  5. XS ive

XS ive Rockstar 100 Posts

wd-40 will make short work of removing left over adhesive from tape too.
    Be sure to clean the paint with alcohol and lint free cloth after thorough cleaning and waxing and before re-applying new covers!
  6. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you are going to be installing a tonneau cover I would think twice about new bed caps, My tonneau caused my factory caps to buckle due to the heat trapped in the bed. What I plan on doing is having the Line-X liner extended onto the bed rails to eliminate this problem,...some day!:lol: