Replacing brake light switch

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by zuper8, Jan 19, 2010.

1. zuper8

zuper8 Rockstar

My brake lights were stuck on, even with the car off and locked, so I figured it is likely the brake light switch. Finally got it out, by accidentally breaking the damn thing... I couldn't get the metal retaining clip off. So here I am now, with a new switch in hand but I can't slide it on because that frickin metal ring won't come off. I've done tons of searching, and everyone's really vague on how that clip comes off. How the heck do you remove it??

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

bump...........it would help if you update your sig with model, engine, trans, options, mods etc.

3. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You have to use a pick or flat head screw driver to pry the metal part of the clip that catches the metal bar that the switch slides onto. Be careful not to break the clip for it is a dealer only part.

4. zuper8

zuper8 Rockstar

ahh i see. and if i break it, what would be the consequences of not putting it back on?

5. zuper8

zuper8 Rockstar

well nevermind breaking it, this thing is effing indestructable i can't even pry the tab

6. Mean_Green_95

Push the retaining clip further onto the metal rod. The piece of the clip that catches the rod is jammed up against the rod and needs some room to move. If you do break it and don't get a new one you run the risk of not having brake lights since the switch can work itself loose from the bar.

7. zuper8

zuper8 Rockstar

Well I was able to get the clip off and replace the switch, but it didn't fix the problem. After driving it I noticed my right turn signal doesn't work properly, and my brights don't work right either. So today I am replacing the multi function switch. I was about the rent the steering wheel puller from Autozone when someone told me it wouldn't work for my Suburban. Is this true?

8. Mean_Green_95

No, it should work. All wheels have three bolt holes that you thread three bolts into through the puller. Then the center bolt pushes the wheel off the column. Any wheel puller should work.

9. zuper8

zuper8 Rockstar

Is it absolutely necessary to pull the steering wheel? I have seen some guides that say yes you do, and others that don't even mention it.

10. Mean_Green_95

Idk the answer to that question. I haven't had to replace that one yet. I would attempt to try to replace it without removing the steering wheel, then you will know.