Replacing Catalytic Converter Because of P0430 Code

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Conlan Rose, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

So after checking and ruling out other possible causes of the code it comes down to needing a new Pass side Cat. Im just wondering whats the best way to replace it because it will require cutting the factory exhaust and removing the Cat. I really have no exhaust experience but I refuse to pay the massive ripoff of a cost it will be to get it done by a shop. I was planing to just get a cheaper 49 state Cat for now just to pass emissions in June.

Here's which Cat that needs replacement:
    61szq7JcNPL._SL1500_.jpg
    Any advice or guidance from more experienced members.

2. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

When both of mine went out last year I went with a high flow y pipe from flomaster. Summit racing had a good deal at the time.

3. Conlan Rose

Thats actually what is pictured above. I would do that but I dont want to fight with pulling the O2 sensors or spending the money for new ones when I can get a 49 state cat for $50-60.

4. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Do you have emissions testing? If not you could just gut it until you have the money to buy the setup you want (if you don't already)

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Getting O2 sensors out is not that bad if you have a torch and an O2 sensor wrench. I just replaced some on a 95 jeep and they came out pretty easily after I heated the pipe red hot. I would just cut the old one off with a sawsall, Buy some clamps and clamp the new one in. Should not be that hard at all. Just make sure that you have the clamp threads pointing sideways or up, never down, I have seen them get caught on things.

6. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

looks like just replacing the one will be a cut and weld/clamp job. Can you even find 50 state legal (basically its CA legal) as I have had to try and find a few for cars I have and its always around $600-700, but thats for the bolt in replacements. The last 2 times (2 different cars) I might have possibly purchased a 49 state legal cat, shipping it to a relative in CO, and then they would then ship it to me in Commiefornia at less than half the cost:no:. But that wouldnt be legal here. Fortunately one was traded in and the other still passed smog with the 49 state legal cat.

disclaimer: if any one from the California Air Resource Board (CARB) is reading this, it is a completely hypothetical situation that I am reffering to.

7. Conlan Rose

Yah [MENTION=62457]BurbanMan[/MENTION] CT has emissions every 2 years until the vehicle is 25 years old I'm due for it June of this year. I was wondering if the can and clamp would work because that was the plan. I will do it in Mayish

On other note I just learned my buddy wrecked his Sable yesterday in the snow storm. Spun out and then got T-boned.

8. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Well it was a nice thought anyway

9. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

No matter what you do for a new cat, it may also plug up or fail for the same reason as why it failed now. #1 enemy for cats is raw gas and or oil burning in the combustion chamber. As with any engine that wears out, incomplete combustion due to worn valves and rings will blow the unburned fuel into the exhaust. This contaminates the catalysis so even after replacing it, you can still fail the emissions test because of incomplete burn. My experience with this was when I had a 79 Impala wagon. One day the cat plugged up and you couldn't accelerate for nothing. After changing it out (back in 1988) about a year later #8 spark plug was fouling up in less than one day of driving. I had to do a valve job. It was that one cylinder's slow dead that kill the one cat in the exhaust system. So with a 96 Tahoe and probably a good amount of mileage on the clock, you may need to check the engine such as do a compression test and a complete ignition check up.

10. Conlan Rose

At this time the ignition system is in great shape I did plugs just before 200,000 miles and they were all in great shape with no build up. I haven't done a compression test yet tho. The truck accelerates great and sounds and runs fine.