1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Replacing Coolant 06 Sierra 5.3L Engine Block Drain Plug?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by weekend wrench, Dec 11, 2011.

1. weekend wrench

weekend wrench New Member

I plan to drain/replace my coolant soon. I do not want to do a coolant "flush".

My question is where, specifically, are the "engine block drain plugs"? Does anyone have good photos? I have the Haynes and the photo (p. 1-24) is so tight and doesn't provide an adequate description of location (for me). I need, at least, a reference to the locations of these two plugs (e.g., front side of oil filter...or something like that).

Thank you for any help on this.

Weekend Wrench
    Elgin, Illinois
  2. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Will have two plugs at /around oil filter ..will be the bigger one. Takes a 17mm hex head. Now the passenger side is smaller above the starter.
  3. weekend wrench

weekend wrench New Member

Thanks Mr. Dipstick. I found similar info on other sites after a bit of googling. Most people recommend a flush (with the t connector). I haven't done a flush or drain (in my brief tenure), but since I already bought the 50/50 Dexcool, I am going to attempt the drain this weekend. I plan to only drain the driver's side block plug as the passenger side is apparrently blocked by the starter. Interestingly, my radiator drain hose is missing. I plan to use full goggles for this job. Any further hints/things to watch out for appreciated very much.Weekend Wrench06 Sierra 4wd 5.3L 4 door 135,000 miles