Replacing CV axles

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Truballa, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Truballa

Truballa New Member

Alright well im new to trucks in general and am looking at a 2000 silverado that needs the front cv axles replaced. I found cv axles parts for 70 dollars online and was wondering how hard it is to do the job myself( with dad's help). Thanks

2. johnnyr

johnnyr New Member

just replaced both my CV axles

I just did mine on a 99 Blazer4x4 2dr. The whole front end has to come apart, so you might plan on replacing ball joints while you're in there. My parts had never been apart since new, so a lot of time was spent on just breaking things loose. You need to have a Chilton or Hayes manual to refer to, minimum.

Let me know if you want more details.

3. Truballa

Truballa New Member

Alright thank you i will get some sort of extra in depth manual or something like what you said to help me.

4. omegafiler

omegafiler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

It's not too difficult if you have help and if you've ever replaced front CV axles in other FWD vehicles before. If not, then the manual will definately help. Air tools are also a big plus. :)

I do agree that it's a good time to replace anything else in the area that might be worn out, such as your shocks, joints, add grease where needed, etc. No point it tearing it all back apart later for something else. Good luck!