1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Replacing CV Half Shafts

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Hump55, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Hump55

Hump55 New Member

2002 Silverado 5.3 liter

One cv half shaft is really clunking and groaning - can somebody tell me if I can replace it myself or is it too much for back yard? Do you need to separate ball joints?

Thanks in advance
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes you need to separate the lower ball joint. It can be done in your back yard. Loosen the nut all the way off and screw it on 3 turns. With the suspension hanging free pry on the lower arm with a long pipe or bar and hit the arm with a big hammer. It should spring loose. Then jack up the arm to relieve the pressure and remove the nut. Lower the arm to release it from the ball joint. Then remove the axle.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 what Jimmee said but, if your truck is lifted and has aftermarket steering knuckles you wont have to take the ball joint loose. Just jack up that side of truck and unbolt. Takes about 10minutes. Also most parts stores have rebuilt halfshafts on a exchange basic. I found NAPA to have good rebuilt shafts.
  4. suburban2500

suburban2500 Member

there is no need to take the lower ball joint out at all it falls right out the ball joint just made an hour project a full 2 days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! atleast on a 2500
  5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

2 Days? I can R&R a half shaft including dropping the ball joint loose in 30 minutes or less once the truck is up on jack stands. The ball joint is only 1, count em', ONE nut. LMAO :lol:
  6. TJbear

TJbear Rockstar 100 Posts

Not sure if a 2000 Z71 is the same but I replaced my driver side half shaft by only removing the sway bar link. The connection to the front diff is just a flange so you don't need tons of clearance to pull a spilned shaft end out like on other vehicles. :neutral:
  7. liftedHD

liftedHD New Member

I did the same thing to get to mine. Took no time at all, now I am just waiting on a new spacer so I can put the shaft back on.