1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Replacing Door Speakers 2008 Silverado

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by jdunk90, Dec 10, 2011.

1. jdunk90

jdunk90 New Member

My front door speakers crapped out on my 2008 Silverado. I was wondering if I should buy component or 2-way speakers. I have tweeters in panels above the dash but they're diamond shaped so I don't feel like trying to replace them.

Could I just buy component speakers and just use the mid-speaker or would I be better off just installing 2-ways in the door with the stock tweeters?
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The factory tweeter is molded into a plate to mount it in the piller, you can just use a dremel to cut the factory one away and the either silicone or hot glue the new tweeter int its place, thus insuring you are able to retain a factory/clean look in your truck. go with components, i spend my money on Boston Acoustics!
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Component speakers tend to sound better than coaxial speakers.

For my 2004 I bought component speakers and did some minor cutting/fab work on the door panel to allow it to house the tweeter cleanly. It looks factory behind the stock Bose speaker grille. I could have left the old stock tweeter in the A-pillar's cover but elected to remove it because I'm retentive that way. :)