1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Replacing front CV's 1994 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Marc L, Mar 28, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Marc L

Marc L New Member

I am getting ready to replace the CV's on our 94 Suburban.I have not found any threads that involve this,what else should I be looking at when I have her apart ? This is a new vehicle to me,it has 190000 mi. on body.What else should be replaced/checked when it is apart? Thanks for all help.
    Marc
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I am not positive, but if they are anything like the 02 suburban's it is pretty strait forward. There are a bunch of bolts holding the shaft to the flange on the transfercase. (I think around 10). Then the big nut that goes thru the wheel hub.(You can rent the socket at Autozone for free) Putting the t-case in 4 hi might help you break the nut loose. You should be able to get them out without taking anything else off except for loosening the front sway bar links. You can always check out your ball joints and control arm bushings, (grab the tire one hand on top one on bottom and try to wiggle it, there should be no movement). Then check out the tierod ends, pitman and idler arms (grab the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and move back and forth, if you have movement have someone else wiggle it while you locate the issue).
  3. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member 100 Posts

You might want to look at replacing your wheel hub/unit bearings. They have to come off anyway.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I don't think that they have to come off for the shaft replacement! I have done my 03 and 95 and never had to remove them. You might have to move a tie rod end in a vary rare case. Sure you have to take the nut off the shaft, But completely removing the wheel hub assembly would be a waste of time in my opinion. Sure it is only 3 more bolts, but sometimes they can be a real pain to get off after you pull the bolt. I had spent three hours trying to beat one out that was corroded into the bore. At that point if you are going to beat them out you better replace them.
  5. mudpuppy

mudpuppy New Member 100 Posts

you will need a 36mm socket for the cv nuts, remove either top or bottom shock mount before you start. replace the sway bar link bushings while your there. use a rubber mallet to remove the cv's. make sure you use a medium grade loc-tite for the inner cv bolts. the upper ball joint needs to be disconnected to do this. it would be a good idea to get a new ball joint to reinstall. use only Moog parts if you can. either way do not use china parts. the suburban is to heavy and the china parts will break fast. make sure that the new cv's have the anti-lock mag pick up ring installed, do not try to transfer those from the old cv's to the new cv's. check all other joints in the area and its likely you will also need new tie-rod ends.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  6. Marc L

Marc L New Member

Thanks to all for your input.I replaced both sides yesterday in about three hours,all other joint's etc checked out in good shape .. Thanks again for your help.

Marc