Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Replacing fuel pump on 1993 GMC Suburban, 5.7L, 350 tbi.

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by backcountry horsewoman, Dec 16, 2010.

1. backcountry horsewoman

backcountry horsewoman Rockstar 100 Posts

Pre-steps: Disconnect battery; empty gas tank (tank feels as light as plastic, but holds 42 gallons); relieve pressure; and raise rear end of truck up on jack stands.

Step 1: If rusty, spray heat shield and clamp bolts with PB Blaster.
    Step 2: Place floor jack with small piece of pressed board bolted to it under tank and raise until just under heat shield.
    Step 3: Remove heat shield bolts and heat shield.
    Step 4: Disconnect fuel filler and vent line hoses.
    Step 5: Disconnect pump electrical connection & ground located on top of frame, accessible through the inside rear driver wheel well.
    Step 6: Place floor jack under tank again and raise until just under tank.
    Step 7: Remove tank clamp bolts. The clamps are hinged so once the bolts at the rear of the truck are removed, the clamps come off.
    Step 8: Lower tank carefully until you can see top of tank and sending unit. In my situation, the tank was stuck with crud and frozen moisture and had to use a pry bar to loosen tank to lower it.
    Step 9: Disconnect fuel lines and vent hose.
    Step 10: Lower tank to the ground. Note: it was tricky getting fuel filler & vent hoses up and over frame while lowering tank.
    Step 11: If rusty or cruddy, spray sending unit with PB and clean.
    Step 12: Open locking ring and CAREFULLY remove pump so as to not break plastic clip holding floater arm (like I did). In my case, I used a little JB Weld and a stainless steel zip tie to re-secure arm.
    Step 13: Switch out pump and strainer per package instructions.
    Step 14: Re-install using same steps in reverse.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

That's a good write up Janet. :great: Thanks for posting it. You did a really good job cleaning up your tank too.

3. awheeler

awheeler New Member

I cut a 12" x 12" hole with an air chisel in the bed of the truck over the gas tank so I could access the pump without dropping the tank. Built a hinged panel for it with a seal that I could bolt closed. No sparks involved.

1992 K1500 Burb

4. stephan

Welcome to the GM truck club AW.
    We suggested that to her & showed her the instructional threads here, but she wanted to drop the tank for the experience. Personally, I would have done it your way. Less work, less grief, nice, neat, & easy.

5. backcountry horsewoman

backcountry horsewoman Rockstar 100 Posts

This is true. After researching both cutting access panel and dropping tank, I felt the best way (for me) was to drop the tank. I was leery to cut the panel into my burb as I was unsure of integrity of frame after as well as proper long-term sealing of panel. Since I use it to tow my horses, I was not willing to risk it.

Dropping the tank was time consuming... but turned out to be a simple enough project. My truck is running great now, and is still in original condition.

If my tank was situated in such a way that would require a lot of manipulation to (for instance) get it past drive shaft, I may have re-thought it. But since the 1993 Burb's tank is placed at the very rear/center of truck, it was quite easy to drop. I'm very glad I did it this way.

Stephan is right... it was an awesome & fun learning experience too! :D

6. stephan

LOL Janet, the main reason you were sucessful & enjoyed the tank R&I & pump install is cuz you're a woman. 9 out of 10 men who did this for the first time, would have been cussing, throwing tools, swearing at God, throwing more tools, & calling their doctors for some valium. :)

7. NRIns

NRIns New Member

My 1993 sub. fuel pump has failed so really whats the best way to do this ? Where should I get the replacement pump?
    :sign0144::sign0144: