1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Replacing intake gaskets

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Indyandy, May 20, 2013.

1. Indyandy

Indyandy New Member

2000 K2500 454 a/t 4x4 w/ac

Long weekend ahead, so I want to make a few repairs. The intake is leaking again (replaced 3 years ago). I did not do it, so I am looking for some advise.
    What all parts should I get besides the upper and lower intake gaskets? I have coolant, oil and filter.
    Are there any special tools I will need?
    Should I replace the thermostat?
    Are there any 'tricks' or 'short cuts' I should know about?
    Or anything you can tell me from past experiance will be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member

if your doing this on a 454, check the fitment to the deck and heads with no gasket.

they make the 454 run super hot to help with emissions... so put the intake on and make sure all the bolt holes like up perfect.

you can also use a feeler guage to check for gaps... the intake may be warped or something...
  3. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member ROTM Winner

Biggest thing is take your time... take some pics before disassembly it will more than you know when you go to put it all back together. Be sure you have a gasket scraper, some sort of cleaner (Carb or break cleaner) to clean all the surfaces, sharpie to mark cap/rotor/distributor positions, several rags/towels to cover lifters and stuff into the intake ports to keep dirt and whatnot out, torque wrenches and a buddy to help you lift the intake out and back in so you do not mar it. I like to put a small dab of gasket maker where intake gagaskets meet the little block gaskets. Also... by the better quality gaskets... if your like me ya only want to do it once...:)))
  4. Indyandy

Indyandy New Member

What brand of gaskets do you recomend? Is there a distributor gasket or seal? Do the valve covers have to come off? Any other gaskets needed?
  5. TimTom64b

I personally like felpro... you can buy a kit with all you need. You will need to remove one valve cover to allow you to lift the intake out. There is a gasket under the distributor. What I like to do before removing a distributor is to mark the position of the dist housing and intake and rotor position and dist housing. Then when you re-install just line everything back up.

One more thing you can order thru summit racing... though many of the part stores can get them.
  6. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

I second the Fel-Pro gaskets, I used them to fix my oil pan leak. Their gaskets are much beefier than the stock ones and usually they give you some basic instructions to help you out. Just be careful some felpro gaskets you can't use RTV sealant on or you will destroy the gasket. Also take this as an opportunity to clean the intake and clean the engine the best you can.

Only replace the thermostat if your having temp issues while running. But I do suggest replacing all the hoses and clamps you can because they rot out over time with out you realizing it. Also clean the EGR valve and replace the gasket while you have the intake off.
  7. Indyandy

Indyandy New Member

What is the best way to get the ac hoses out of the way? How do I clean the EGR?
  8. TimTom64b

Walmart or you local auto shop will have little bungy cords you can buy... I use them for everything... they are like another set of hands. Just wrap them around and use them to hold everything out of the way... as much as possible.
  9. Indyandy

Indyandy New Member

People say that I should not use the rubber seals for the lower intake. Instead use a 1/4 inch bead of red rtv. Any thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Will I need to reset the timing on this? I marked the distributor and rotor position when I took it out.