Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Replacing my limited slip with posi?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by vettetrax, Dec 8, 2009.

1. vettetrax

vettetrax New Member

Hey guys I own a 1991 Silverado 5.7, Single cab step side truck.. I currently have limited slip but i was involved in a minor accident and bent the driver side rear axle.. A new axle seems to be about $200.. So i've been meaning to put positraction in the truck and i figured this was the time!
    I've called a few junk yards but i'm having trouble locating a posi rear.. was this avaible in the early 90's? and what gear ratio were they?

this forum helped me big time on answering some questions about my interior so i really hope you can help again! thanks!

-Chris
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Exactly what are you looking for when you say "positraction?" Traditionally, "positraction" referred to a clutch type limited slip, but the term has come to refer to a variety of different differential styles (some people even use it to refer to anything but an open differential).

If you are limiting yourself to used axles from a junkyard, you're most likely going to find another G80 gov-lock like would have been installed in your '91 at the factory. If you want something other than the factory G80 option, you might be better off rebuilding the existing axle with whatever you want to put in it.
  3. vettetrax

vettetrax New Member

I'm looking for something for speed. When i give it a good amount of gas i'll spin the passenger tire all the way through 1st gear.. I'd like both tires to grip when i need them to. But its also my daily driver. The truck is slightly lowered so i never do any type of offroading.. any recommendations?

I'm not limited to junkyard i just thought that would be the most cost effective way to go. I've researched a little and people seem to recommend the Detroit True Track? but for around $650 plus i need a new axle i'm looking at $850+.. i really wasn't looking to spend that much if i didnt have to
  4. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I don't like the factory G80 for that sort of thing. It's not going to engage everytime you need it. When it does engage, it could engage a little hard, which is probably part of why these break so often (especially in the 10 bolt rear, if that's what you have). This is what you will almost certainly get if you settle for a junkyard axle.

True track seems to be a pretty good unit. It's a geared limited slip, so there are no clutches to wear out.

I've heard good things about Eaton's clutch type limited slip. Main downside is that the clutches do wear out, but it's rebuildable, so that just means you need to periodically (50-100k miles??) go in and replace the clutches.

If I were in your shoes, I'd spend the extra money and get a good limited slip -- especially if you have a 10 bolt axle. It might cost you more up front, but I think it will be more durable.