1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Replacing Oil Pan Gasket '95 GMC K1500 4X4

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by mrtonegto, Mar 5, 2013.

1. mrtonegto

mrtonegto New Member

Cant seem to find a thread detailing the procedures for this and the Chilton manual for the truck is too vague (does not differentiate 4X4).

Can anyone provide what is required to drop the pan, and also what is the best type replacement pan gasket to use?

All help is appreciated!
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

Give me a few mins to find my thread on doing this. It is a pain in the butt and will take alot of time.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/100135-Leaking-again

I explain every step it just takes time to read through there's lots of pics to help. It took me a few days, but I also had a rear main leak which made it take longer because I needed to move the tranny. The oil pan only took a day and a half with help. Maybe a whole day only if you read my tips and hardships.
  3. mrtonegto

mrtonegto New Member

Wow that's quite a thread............phew! Lots of twists and turns..............
    and I still can't see what it would take to drop the oil pan.

Still looking for some help on this guys.
  4. Conlan Rose

Ill sum up. First you drain oil and remove the oil filter and filter adapter. Next you will remove the front drive shaft. Once that is out of the way you need to unbolt the y pipe from the headers(yes you need to do this). Now you will remove the tranny supports which are the two rods coming from the engine. Now you can take off the torque converter inspection plate and remove the starter.

Now for the pan removal: Support the front axle and unfasten the axle mounting bolts. Now you can unbolt the oil pan and let it drop.

- - - Updated - - -

I can not stress it enough you need to get the exhaust pipe loose and if possible remove the entire y pipe. I was luck me and my friend were able to flex it out of the way enough to remove the torque converter cover. If your alone that's not gonna work.
  5. mrtonegto

mrtonegto New Member

I'll start soaking everything in PB Blaster days before - that always works.

I'm not sure exactly what bolts u are referencing for the axle mounting. I'll have to look under there or in my manual.

I appreciate the quick break down - thanks!
  6. Conlan Rose

Darn the one thing I dont have a pic of..... They are the bolts that hold the front diff to the frame.

Use as much penetrating oil as possible. Buy tons of it and get WD-40 to clean to bolts and parts you remove(it works well)

- - - Updated - - -

Ignore the attached pic it was an accident.

Attached Files: