1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Replacing radiator support 95 sub 1500 - does it require welding?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by audihenry, May 6, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. audihenry

audihenry New Member

Hey guys,

My 95 Suburban 1500 4x4 needs its radiator core support (among other things) replaced after an accident. Does the new one require welding in place or is it just bolt on w/ the bushings, as I've been told? Is this something an above average equipped car guy can perform?

Thanks!

2. leftywoody

leftywoody New Member

I am sure it is bolt on . I think you could handle it up to a point . That point gets a little hairy when you start to align the sheetmetal back up so the hood closes properly and the gaps between the fender and hood are equal . It requires more than just bolt out, bolt in , like an alternator or battery replacement would . If you look up in a bodyshop manual ,it would probably say" 1 or 2 hours with all nessasary parts removed" . That would mean for a professional it would take that long to change it over, after the fenders possibly the hood and radiator and any bracketry is taken out .

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If I remember correctly it has a couple tack welds at the corners.
    You could probably get away with drilling and bolting together but the most important part will be ensuring everything is squared perfectly.

4. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

The radiator support is bolted on, no welds.

5. audihenry

audihenry New Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I think this is something I can try out myself, though the alignment part does cause a little hesitation. Still, life's about meeting challenges, right? :)

6. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Once you get the front grill, bumper, condenser, etc. and fenders out, take measurements with the existing radiator support still mounted. Upper, lower and two diagonals and write them down. That should be a good starting point.
    Good luck.