Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Replacing Rear Wheel Stud '08 K2500 8-lug with 6.6

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by arby, Oct 15, 2012.

1. arby

arby Member

Looking for confirmation - working on a 2008 GMC 6.6 Duramax K2500 with disk rear disk brakes .

Need to replace a wheel stud - looks like parking brake leaves no room to install a stud.

Does the axle have to come out to replace a wheel stud? Which locknut socket do I need? OTC 1929? or other? Will the inner hub seal survive or should it be swapped out (dry now).
  2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Are you sure theres no "one spot" that will allow you to get one in?? Seems like an awfull lot to just replace a stud. Im not familiar with the rear of 3/4 ton so sorry im no help.
  3. arby

arby Member

Thanks for answering. The studs are too long - parking brakes are too close to the back of the flange. I found some info at the Duramax Forum, including the pics below. There's no access left anywhere for installing a stud - and it doesn't look like the parking brakes come apart with the flange in place.

EDIT - I'm taking the advice below on replacing the seal - pics added

rotor off.jpg hub & rotor off.jpg assembled.jpg seal & hub.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I helped replace 3 studs on a friends 2009 K2500 a few months back and we couldnt figure out any way to do it without removing the axle, theres no clearance at all.
    We didnt replace the inner hub seal per advice from another friend thats a factory trained GM mechanic, he gave it 90% odds of not being needed, the next weekend we pulled the axle again to replace the seals due to leaking.
    Wont make that mistake again since the seal is cheap insurance against having to redo the job.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

X2 on replacing the seal. You are already there so you should just do it.