Replacing Serpentine belt soon...few questions

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by msvx95, Nov 15, 2010.

1. msvx95

msvx95 Rockstar

Can I get clarity on a few things before I change out my belt(s).

1) What is needed to be removed besides the air intake duct to get to the serpentine belt? I see coolant hoses, but do they just need to be unclipped from the plastic holders or do they need to be physically removed?

2) Can the a/c belt be removed after the serpentine belt is done or before? Is there a separate tensioner for that?

Am I missing anything else? I'm going to do this for the first time this week.

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

What year truck and engine? You should be able to remove the serp. belt without removing anything but the intake tube.

3. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

:sign0017:

4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

X3 what Silverado & Riddick said, plus "you should be able to see" what needs to be taken off. The belt is very thin & can be slipped between small spaces to get it out.

5. msvx95

msvx95 Rockstar

ok... 2001 silverado 1500 4wd with a 5.3.
    I picked up both belts today...a/c and serp. I'm still curious how to replace the a/c one first. I haven't crawled under the truck yet to see it, but it does have it's own tensioner, correct?
    The serp I will do as you say and just remove the intake tube and go from there.

6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I just replaced both belts and....Yes the A/C has it's own Tensor-er.....As mentioned by Silveradotrailblazer.....removing the CAI Tube will give you the room to maneuver.......you will need do the A/C belt first and then the Serp. Belt.....

7. msvx95

msvx95 Rockstar

ok very good...thanks guys :)

8. msvx95

msvx95 Rockstar

alright...both belts replaced. Truck squeals a bit more now when I first start driving it. Is there an adjustment to tighten the actual tension on the belt? Obviously the tensioner pivots but how do I get it to tighten the belt just a little more. I'm guessing the belt slips a bit before it warms up.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The tensioner is non-adjustable. It may need to be replaced. What brand belts did you buy?

10. msvx95

msvx95 Rockstar

I don't remember the brand of belt but I think it was equivalent of OEM from Napa