Replacing Serpentine belt soon...few questions

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by msvx95, Nov 15, 2010.

1. msvx95

msvx95 Member

Can I get clarity on a few things before I change out my belt(s).

1) What is needed to be removed besides the air intake duct to get to the serpentine belt? I see coolant hoses, but do they just need to be unclipped from the plastic holders or do they need to be physically removed?

2) Can the a/c belt be removed after the serpentine belt is done or before? Is there a separate tensioner for that?

Am I missing anything else? I'm going to do this for the first time this week.
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What year truck and engine? You should be able to remove the serp. belt without removing anything but the intake tube.
  3. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen New Member 100 Posts

:sign0017:
  4. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

X3 what Silverado & Riddick said, plus "you should be able to see" what needs to be taken off. The belt is very thin & can be slipped between small spaces to get it out.
  5. msvx95

msvx95 Member

ok... 2001 silverado 1500 4wd with a 5.3.
    I picked up both belts today...a/c and serp. I'm still curious how to replace the a/c one first. I haven't crawled under the truck yet to see it, but it does have it's own tensioner, correct?
    The serp I will do as you say and just remove the intake tube and go from there.
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I just replaced both belts and....Yes the A/C has it's own Tensor-er.....As mentioned by Silveradotrailblazer.....removing the CAI Tube will give you the room to maneuver.......you will need do the A/C belt first and then the Serp. Belt.....
  7. msvx95

msvx95 Member

ok very good...thanks guys :)
  8. msvx95

msvx95 Member

alright...both belts replaced. Truck squeals a bit more now when I first start driving it. Is there an adjustment to tighten the actual tension on the belt? Obviously the tensioner pivots but how do I get it to tighten the belt just a little more. I'm guessing the belt slips a bit before it warms up.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The tensioner is non-adjustable. It may need to be replaced. What brand belts did you buy?
  10. msvx95

msvx95 Member

I don't remember the brand of belt but I think it was equivalent of OEM from Napa