1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Replacing solenoid on 2002 Chevy Avalanche

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by jcsmaestra, Jul 26, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. jcsmaestra

jcsmaestra New Member

I had one replaced last week at the repair shop. Cost $280. Now service engine light is on again. I think the other one needs replacing, but would like to do it myself. Can someone help? Where are the solenoids located?
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

There are a few Sensors/Solenoids on your Avalanche, what/which Solenoids are you asking about??
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

When I think of solenoid, I think of starter...........there is only one.

If the CEL is on, then it is probably a sensor you are talking about.

You need to have the trouble code read, and then we can help.
  4. jcsmaestra

jcsmaestra New Member

I was told there were 2. The part that was used is CarQuest Engine Controls 73-1322 Solenoid.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Actually, there are a number of solenoids in a vehicle, I was using the starter as an example.

The part number you provided, is a purge solenoid, and there may be two.

What was changed is not the question here, if the CEL is lite, there is a reason. A guess, on your part, is not the proper way to diagnosis the problem.

You MUST get a reader plugged into the OBD2 port and find out what trouble code is being set in the engine computer.
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

As RayVoy has mentioned, the Part Number you've posted, is the EVAP Purge Solenoid, which is located on the Intake manifold on the Drivers-Side.

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

The Diagram Below is the Intake from the 5.3 Liter, the EVAP Purge Solenoid, is Number #5
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012