1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

replacing stock door speakers

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by chvy411, Mar 9, 2010.

1. chvy411

chvy411 New Member

I have an 03 silverado extended cab with stock door speakers. My truck doesnt have the Bose upgrade. I havent taken my door panels off because I'm afraid of breaking the clips. There are a lot of sizes of speakers and I cant find a specific size for replacements. Can anyone tell me what I need? Thanks :)
  2. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 New Member 1000 Posts

You need a 6.5 for the front doors. You will need 4x6's for the rears. It's really easy to take the doors off, much easier than previous models.

Just remove the window and lock controls, remove the sliding lock piece, remove the door handle trim, pop out the accent light, remove the plastic triangle piece coving the mirror bolts, remove the 2 7mm bolts, and then pull up on the whole panel and disconnect the tweeter wires and out it is.
  3. chvy411

chvy411 New Member

what about tweeter size? im really clueless to all the stock sizes.
  4. Mean_Green_95

I'm to sure on those. I just left the ones in my door stock and put new ones on the A-pillars.
  5. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

the tweeters wont really matter on the size, if you get aftermarket tweets they will come with a housing for mounting them in a couple different ways and they will fit no matter what the factory size is, but just get 1 inch tweeters, as for replacing the rear 4x6 go with 4 inch round speakers. Any size speaker that is a _x_ is worthless, they are a dying breed of speakers as far as aftermarket companies are concerned, they really put there best stuff in the round speakers now
  6. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid New Member

Gotta disagree with the "x" speakers. I put Alpine type-S speakers in the back doors, and they are 4x6 speakers...quality sound, even if they don't have the bass that 6x9s do.
  7. chvy411

chvy411 New Member

Thanks for your all your help. You guys have saved me a real big headache.
  8. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher New Member

Why bother. Best Buy can pop in some sweet Alpine or Infinity speakers for a few bucks.
  9. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher New Member

I highly recommend a trip to Best Buy. They do great work from what I have read of their reviews. 20 something college kid that has put in 100's of speakers and probably has had a best buy class on installation. Let a pro do it.
  10. Mean_Green_95

You don't need to be a pro to get these door panels off. My fiancée would have been able to take all the panels off if it weren't for the snap retainers. Plus, some people might not like/want/have the money for Alpines or Infinities.