1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Replacing TBI w/ Carb

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by bigbluesub, May 18, 2010.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. bigbluesub

bigbluesub Rockstar

Greetings all, I was wondering if anyone has replaced their TBI w/ a new carb and intake. What do you do with the current fuel lines? Does the fuel pump need to be regulated? Does the throttle linkage work? Will the gas pedal still work and what about the tranny kickdown?

Also, who has replaced their TBI with a new Holley unit and how did that work out for you?

Thanks,
    jesse

2. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

There are generally adapters/etc to make your linkages fit/work. Not positive without digging on your specific model.

You will most definitely need a pressure regulator, or have to convert to mechanical pump. Carbs are about 7-9psi, and IIRC the electric pumps on those will push up to about 20psi. The other option would be switching over to a mechanical pump, and eliminating the return. Mech should be strong enough to pull through your existing electrical if you just disconnect it (or so I've heard). All in all probly cheaper and more reliable to just get a regulator.

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

From what i have heard the Holleys work great. Im not 100% since i havent used one however my 1988 K2500 has a Holley on it but it seems to be stock... Why are you thinking about changing the TBI out if you dont mind me asking??

4. bigbluesub

bigbluesub Rockstar

I'm having some trouble with the way it runs, stumbling, hesitation and stalling, but not all the time. Sometimes it runs great. I was just pricing my options when i noticed i could replace the TBI with a carb and intake for about the same money. And who doesn't like a four barrel!!!!

5. murdog94

Do you have a CEL?? And as for the hesitation.. you might consider a tune up?? Especially the fuel filter.. Mine had a bunch of black goo in it. Also clean up the TBI and consider a fuel pressure regulator.. That will help dramatically.

6. kburb

kburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

7. bigbluesub

bigbluesub Rockstar

Hmmm, I have new plugs,wires,cap & rotor. Just installed Long tube headers and crossover pipe. It has had the problem all along........ I have also changed out the fuel filter and the tps.......
    I'm wondering if it could be a vac. leak in the manifold, I hear they are known for that.......

8. bigdogdaddy

bigdogdaddy New Member

Did you try replacing any of the sensors? Also, do you get a check engine light? My 90 had this problem and I replaced all the sensors and the EGR, and it runs like a raped ape. The only prob I have is a broken/burnt wire on the ESC (Electronic Spark Control) solenoid signal wire, but I'm re-running that to fix it. I was going to replace mine, but TBI's done right will hang right with, if not beat the best tuned carbs any day.

9. murdog94

Try a new gasket around the TBI.. and possibly remove the TBI spacer, and with the new gasket to see where you are.. I am suffering from a lack of power.. and every thing that i have changed has helped.. but currently i am at the fuel pump.. Just remeber this the TBI is more efficent and actually easier on the motor because the motor is always getting the right air/fuel ratio, and with a carb you can only really have 1 jet size, causing you to only be "close" all the time instead of right on.

10. bigbluesub

bigbluesub Rockstar

All good stuff, thanks. Guess i will get my codes scanned this weekend and go from there.......