Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Replacing Upper Control Arms

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by KyleZ71, Feb 10, 2014.

1. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Hey guys me again. Anyone know where I could find a pretty good write up on how to replace the upper control arms of a 03-07 silverado?? I've been looking but no one seems to have a detailed how to. I pretty much know I need to pickle fork the ball joint out, then remove the two bolt that hold it in (marking the alignment point). Just want to cross my t's and dot my i's as I dont want to fudge anything up. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Tried breaking the mounting bolts lose with a breaker bar, but both of my 1/2" to 3/8" impact adapters broke off in the socket... Am I doing something wrong?? I am trying to loosen the bolts first before separating the ball joint, simply because I don't want to ruin the ball joint if I can't remove the control arms

- - - Updated - - -

front sway 1.jpg
    Here's what I am looking at

- - - Updated - - -

Normally I would just assume the bolts are frozen with rust, but since I get the truck aligned wouldn't they use these bolts to adjust it? I hate to pay a shop to do it if I could do it myself.
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

You need more lube, 1/2" breaker and sockets, and a pole to apply more torque at a gentle rate. Get a lot of PBblaster or WD-40 and SOAK those bolts. Then use the 1/2" ssocket and breaker bar with a length of pipe to act as a lever and distribute the load better.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

remember to just turn the nut. I have seen the top cam bolts damaged by turning the bolt itself. you also need to get a 1/2 drive socket for it. you are just going to keep breaking those adapters. I suggest a cheap set from harbor freight. They are around $15. My dad has had the same pittsburg set for 20 years, we never broke one even with 5 ft breaker bars on them. I would not buy other sockets from them, but the impacts are fine. You might need to heat the nut up with a torch. if you are determined to get it off, you will get it. Penetrating oil and heat are your friends.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  4. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I've been soaking them daily with pb blaster and wd-40 rust penetrate. I should've tried with impact sockets. Will post results later this weekend. Thanks guys!
  5. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Another thing you could do is heat up the bolts and bushings that might help it a little bit.