1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Replacing Wheel Bearing Sensor.

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by stavropulos, Dec 10, 2009.

1. stavropulos

stavropulos New Member

I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4. My ABS is kicking on everytime I stop. When traveling fast I can stop on a dime, but when going slow, turning into a parking spot it wants to kick in and not stop at all. Is it the ABS sensor or wheel bearing sensor? or are they the same thing? I talked to a guy who said to replace it you have to buy the whole wheel hub. I called the dealer and they said I can just buy the sensor seperate?? If anyone has been through this I would much appreciate any assistance or input. Thank you all for your time.
  2. Rocketron

Rocketron New Member

If it's a 2001 chances are the bearings are shot and not just the sensors acting up as they do wear out. The entire hub assembly is not that expensive and if you have minimal tools it might be helpful to find a set with the lugs already pressed in. Two years ago I learned how to do mine after I was given a crazy quote from the stealer - I mean dealer.
  3. Jacqson

Jacqson Member 100 Posts

If your truck is an 8 lug then you need Timken Part #SP580310. These are a complete unit with the ABS sensor and wheel studs included. They're basically a plug and play unit and just so you know Timken is the Wheel Hub supplier to GM.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  4. stavropulos

stavropulos New Member

Much appreciated ...thanks to you both
  5. BillNH

BillNH New Member

I had a recall for the same issue on my 01 1500. Might be worth checking into
  6. DoubleDD

DoubleDD New Member

My 99 does the exact same thing! Any help with suggestions? Wheel bearing or sensor? Won't show up on computer when mechanic rides with.
  7. DoubleDD

DoubleDD New Member

Bought 2 new front bearings from Bearing Warehouse online for $200 shipped to my door. Replaced them and the problem was gone.