1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Reprogramming Necessary After Changes?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by F E Knucklebuster, Aug 17, 2009.

1. F E Knucklebuster

F E Knucklebuster New Member

Still need a little help understanding the control the pcm has over changes made to improve performance.

2004HD 6.0. Simple upgrades to improve performance. I've added a K&N CAI system, true dual Flowmaster 50s, replaced plugs (AC platinum), and replaced the plug wires (Bosch).

Is it necessary for a pcm reprogram to take full advantage of the changes or does the pcm recognize the changes and make the appropriate moves on the fly?
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

It is not necessary to reprogram the PCM as it is capable of adaptive learning and it will try to adapt. For instance if the idle is higher because of new air filter the PCM will lower it. The PCM can make slight changes to make the engine perform as programmed.

Now if you want more performance then you need a performance reprogram or custom tune as it's called. This is an aftermarket upgrade and not something the dealer does. Does this answer your question?
  3. masterfoxscout

masterfoxscout New Member

Couldn't have said it better. Big Thumbs up!
  4. F E Knucklebuster

F E Knucklebuster New Member

Adaptive Learning.

Perfectly said and understood. That's what I needed to know. Thanks
  5. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member 1000 Posts

A custom tune from our vendors, can help you take more advantage of this.

I would recommend getting more upgrades..... maybe like some long tube headers, if you dont have to smog in your state.