1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

research/referral help?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by edkemper, Nov 16, 2012.

1. edkemper

edkemper New Member

I have a 1955 Chevy 3200 Pickup.
    It is registered as a house car. Not aftermarket modifications.
    It has a shell with fold down bunks and external water tanks on both sides between door and rear wheel wells.

Can't find anything to speak of online and can't get a touch of what it's worth because there were few built/sold.

Where can I find out more information?

- - - Updated - - -

Some pictures:
    FrontGrillSm.jpg DriverFrontSm.jpg RearShotSm.jpg DriverH2OtankSm.jpg CamperDecalSm.jpg WaterTankSm.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Well, what I see would be perhaps 3 separate features.
    - The Chev 3200 truck
    - The added on camper shell
    - The 2 water containers.

I think you would have to price the truck as just the truck (price based upon condition), and the rest as aftermarket add on (the price based upon whatever someone will pay).
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

What a cool truck!
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would like to see some pics of the inside of the camper
  5. edkemper

edkemper New Member

InsideCabSm.jpg InsideCamperSm.jpg

I will try to get a few more. This truck has been sitting at my sis's house for 25 years.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Looks like you've found one of the early conversion companies.
    Chevy was an early pioneer using Conversion companies to build "factory modified" new vehicles, from the 40's to the 60's they had a deal with Napco to convert trucks and Suburbans into 4wd's, this deal ended when they began building 4x4's on the GM assembly line in Flint Michigan in the early 60's.
    It' would appear in the 50's they also had a deal to build mini motor homes (what passed for one in those days).
    I know the area where the company was located, lived a few blocks away at one time, that particular company hasnt been in that location since the mid 70's.
    I'm assuming they manufactured the front brush guard too, looks like a nice conversion. For the year overall the truck is in good condition, a perfect example for restoration.
    Being a factory conversion makes it worth a little more than a standard 1955 truck, because it is rare, but the price really depends on finding the buyer willing to pay. I'd look at Hemmings Motor News or something like that for a better price index.
    I saw a 1953 Chevy truck converted by the same company, it was at a truck show about 15 years ago, they had it fully restored and the owner was selling it for $28k, he had a parts truck that was a conversion too, it was the same year and 90% complete but unrestored, he was asking $9500 for it.

Looks like they coined the phrase "The Borg" a few years before Star Trek, who knows maybe they were inspiration for Gene Roddenberry and crew.
  7. edkemper

edkemper New Member

It is such a cool truck it'd be a shame to see it disappear or be altered back to a stock chevy truck. I appreciate the history lesson. It needs to be kept as it was built in 1955.
  8. tbplus10

Yea I agree, that truck's in good condition, as rare as it is with the conversion though it would be a true loss for someone to turn it into a factory 55 it needs to be restored with the conversion.
    I dont see a lot of problem with that though, it looks like most pieces are there.
  9. edkemper

edkemper New Member

The only thing missing is someone that sees the possibilities that wants to tackle the project. Not likely to find someone on Craigslist.
  10. tbplus10