Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

resetting oil change light & changing distance when it comes on

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Hid_positive, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Hid_positive

Hid_positive New Member

So ive had my 2006 denali for a little over 3 months now and its time for its first oil change. My oil change % is about 45% right now and there is roughly 3000 miles since its last change. When i change my oil this week how do I reset that counter? also how can I change the distance so the light comes on after roughly 3000 miles?

Not sure how often gm recomends changing the oil in the 6.0l but I dont drive much anymore and if I go 5k between changes were looking at over 6 months of oil.

-Gary
  2. seffieldvillage@aol.com

seffieldvillage@aol.com Rockstar 100 Posts

hi it tells you in the owners manual how to reset it. i dont no if you can change the milage on tne other part. ralph
  3. jhbrennan

jhbrennan New Member

Owner's manual for reset instructions. GM uses a proprietary algorthim for determining oil life - you won't be able to change it.
  4. shadowt_t

shadowt_t Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

first turn the on acc and open ur hood ...open the posative cable on battery wait 10 min after that put the posative cable again turn ur car the yellow light for servies will go
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

resetting oil change light& changing distance

On my 05 Silverado to reset the oil change mileage you turn on the ignition and quickly depress the gas pedal five times. I dont think you can change the mileage frequency to change. If you use a good oil filter and oil than you should be ok with the factory oil light change frequency.
  6. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

you cant change the interval as it changes with driving. to reset the light turn the key on but dont start then depress pedal 3 or 5 times (i think I did it with 3 last time) then turn off the key and restart truck.
  7. 97Silveradbeast

97Silveradbeast New Member

you reset it the way DSFloyd said. I work in a shop that does maints on car and trucks all the time.
  8. BillD64

BillD64 Rockstar

You don't need to change the oil every 3K miles on modern engines. The GM OLM tells you when to change the oil, the only exceptions to that are if the OLM doesn't turn on the change oil indiator before you go over the max miles defined in the owner's manual for your vehicle or once per year if you don't drive far enough to drop the to get the OLM low enough to turn on the indicator. Before I retired I was changing the oil in my Tahoe twice per year (12K miles per year) based on the OLM, since I retired I drive about 6K miles per year and change it once per year. My Malibu (6 to 8K miles per year) gets changed once every 10 months and my Corvette (4K per year gets changed once per year.

Bill