Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Retractable running boards anyone?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Naptime, May 13, 2010.

1. Naptime

Naptime Rockstar 100 Posts

I've been kicking this round for a while. I like the Power Step version better but the don't offer one for my 1999.
    Probably not hard to modify a mount though.
    YouTube- Power Step Girl

Kodiak Sidewinder does have an application for the 99, but I'm not as wild about it.
    YouTube- Kodiak Powesteps on Tundra

Anyone have first hand knowledge about these things?

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

The Amp ones are built like a Tank.. I've seen them and have talked with their builders a lot. As for the others I have seen them flapping on the side of trucks many times...No good..

3. Naptime

I like the AMP better. My neighbor has a 2001. I'll compare his mounting areas to mine and see how difficult it'd be to modify.

One thing I see right off is the lines running on the passenger side. I'm guessing they go to the rear heater core. The instructions and some of the videos make it look like it might clear.

4. TurboChris

TurboChris Member

I had the AMP electric running boards on my F250......can't say enough good things about them.....GREAT product but not cheap. The kodiaks fail often......it seems everyone I've spoken too about them has had one fail at one time or another.

Good luck with making them fit your 99, I wanted them BADLY but the PO of my suburban had installed a 3" body lift....so it never would have worked even if they did mount up somehow.....

5. Naptime

What would the lift have to do with it? Mine's lifted too, it's the whole reason to get the steps.
    They sell an extension specifically for taller lifts.

It appears our rigs are close in height. I've got a 6" Pro Comp lift with 35 Goodrich TAs. Also from the PO.

Are those SmittyBilt, or Go Rhino steps on yours? Can you tell me what the drop is on them?

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  6. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I researched the Amps for a buddy's truck - he liked them, but didn't want to spend the money.

I keep a milk crate in my Burb - much cheaper!!

Nice trucks, guys, good luck.

7. TurboChris

TurboChris Member

Our lifts are simular. I have a older RCD 6" lift and a 3" Body lift on top of it. I'm running 37's. The steps suck with a 3" body lift cause they bolt to the frame.....and when closed are hidden up against the frame under the body....when you raise the body three inches then the steps would be totally exposed when closed. If I didn't have the body lift I would really want the AMP steps....had them on my F250 and they are great.

Thats why I have the NFab nerf steps.....the truck had smittybuilts on it when I bought it but cause of the body lift they were about 3"'s below the rocker panel because they bolted to the frame....really looked funky....the NFabs bolt to the body so they are nice and tight, sit right under the doors and look correct. Your suburban looks great!

8. Naptime

Strange. The directions appear to indicate they mount to the body sill.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. TurboChris

TurboChris Member

Oh! I was ASSumming they bolted to the frame cause they were SO solid on my F250.....now I haven't crawled under a 2000+ suburban to look at it....but on my 98 I just don't see room for it under there....I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) ....bolting the NFabs to the body was difficult enough that I question getting the amp set up in there...and while it's solid.....I DO feel a little flex. Also the NFabs do a nice job of hiding the frame that is now so visable after the body lift...

10. Naptime

Talked to a very helpful tech at AMP. This is going to be easier than I thought.

Looks like the pinch-weld might need a little modification and the upper bracket altered a bit to ensure a level step. Beyond that it's a snap.

TurboChris, can you tell me what the drop is from the floor board to the step?

Last edited: May 21, 2010