1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Retread tires? Has anyone used them?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Kady, Jan 8, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Kady

Kady New Member 100 Posts

On Facebook, a friend of mine posted that he was looking for new tires for his wife's Jeep. He wanted to find the best deals, and was asking for recommendations... Well, someone responded with a place that sells "retreaded" tires. Curious about it, I started looking through and seeing what they had...

So, my question is :

A) Have you used or purchased a retreaded tire in the past?

B) If you have, did you have any problems with it? Or do you think it was a good deal?

C) If you haven't, would you consider them? Do you think they're safe?

Any input is greatly appreciated. I'm about a month away from buying new tires, and the tires I usually buy cost about $210 each. But the no name retreaded brand, with the exact same tread as the tires I have now, they're about $100 less each tire.
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Most states retreads are illegal except for trailers or for semis
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have never bought them. I would not buy them. As posted above it may be illegal in some states. Driving down the freeway I am sure that you see the retreads laying on the road all the time. On a semi if the trailer looses a retread it is not a major issue because of the dual tires and most the time loss of control does not happen. On a passenger vehicle, if you loose a retreat at highway speeds you can loose control and crash or worse roll it. In my opinion the $400 you would save is not worth risking your safety.

- - - Updated - - -

I was curious and did some research. Apparently, the DOT says that they are as safe as a new tire and that the rubber on the roadways is a mix 50/50 from new and retreads. As far as legality, I would stop and ask a law enforcement officer in your area. I asked a friend of mine that is a Sheriff deputy in Michigan, he said that a long standing law in Michigan is that you can not have retreads on the front tires of any vehicle.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've used them, years ago when we didn't know any better. They are inherently hard to balance and as others have said, they will de-laminate. I would buy Chinese before retreads.

However, give this a try, I've used it a number of times. Go to a local Chev dealer and ask if the have any "take offs". This is a great buy if you want (are happy with) OEM tires.

"Take offs" are from new trucks that are sold with dealer installed tires (usually something more aggressive than the OEMs). They are new (10 miles maybe), but considered used, are less than 1/2 the price of an over the counter mate.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  5. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member 100 Posts

I haven't used them, either, but I do see the "gators" all over the highways. I agree with the rest, that the cost is worth the peace of mind. I only buy tires from one shop where I live - we go back to grade school, and they drop what they're doing to help in an emergency - worth every penny over mail-order.

Now our van, Da Bus, has never been given a new set of tires. I run LT245/75R16's on it - same as a near by ambulance service. When they have a tire failure on one of their rigs, they toss the blown one, and replace all six with new. The other five slightly used tires go into a wharehouse until they're sent to scrap. Every now and then I'll go over and dig through the piles and put together a matching set - for free! Same idea as RayVoy, 'cept cheaper...

If you don't already have a "tire-guy", a craigslist or ebay search will locate those take-offs, too.

Good luck,
  6. grampy

grampy New Member 100 Posts

I run them, on ranch trucks, don't run them on my vehicles that see any highway service. I do run them on my Jeep, but - it doesn't see speeds above 65 & thats rare. Personally, only lost one cap, no problem at the time, just the agrivation, the tire didn't blow, it just seperated & I had plenty of warning. Lots of those "gators" you see on the highway are the result of underinflation or running one tire flat on a set of duals. I worked for a couple of oil field companys that ran caps on all the drive and trailer tires on thier semi's and the rears on most of their dually service trucks. Did not have as many problems as you would think, the issues we had with all tires, caps or new, were lack of maintaining proper tire pressure or just ignoring symtoms of a possible problem. Am I recomending the use of recaps to you - NO. They have their place, but in modern highway service by the average driver - no way ! Ken
  7. Kady

My usually tire of choice is a BFG All Terrain.. but you can't ever find them as take off's or used.. unless they're in horrible shape... I don't ever take my truck far. Just maybe ten minutes on the highway at most to get to the next town.... I've read plenty of reviews, and most of them are as Grampy said, lack of maintenance, or under inflation...
  8. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

There are no local sources that are interested in working with individual light truck buyers. They market to fleets and OTR truckers.

I think that, today, on the whole, the quality is good and I would consider them if it made financial sense. I believe they are safe.

Retreads work out great economically in high-mileage vehicles where treadwear is the main reason for tire replacement. The economic problem with running them on personal vehicles is that most people don't drive enough miles for a retreadable carcass to be able to be used 3-4 times before it ages out (6-10 years). New retreadable tires, like the Michelin XPS, are much more expensive than non-retreadable tires, and so there has to be a fleet average of more than one retreading per tire for this approach to pencil out.

That said you want to be sure of what you're getting and understand the age of the carcass, the warranty, whether there's a deposit on the carcass or something, etc. I would be skeptical, but maybe there really are deals out there.
  9. Kady

Treadwright.com
  10. grampy

grampy New Member 100 Posts

Treadwright is who I use. I buy their "max trac" mud tire with what they call "Kedge Grip" . It's the only mud tire we ever used that was also good on hard pack snow and ice. We have these on three ranch vehicles, soon to be four. A lot of my tire expenses are due to sidewall damage or rock cuts. Hard to spend over 200 each for new 10 ply tires when caps will do the job for a bit over 1/2 the price. We don't use caps on either of our pickups that we use on the highway and tow with. Won't use them on the stock trailers either - we use 14 ply trailer tires only. Ken