1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Retreads???

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by lakelanierboater, Nov 21, 2010.

1. lakelanierboater

lakelanierboater New Member

Anyone used or had good luck with off road or AT retreads???
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

I didnt even know that they were doing that with Radial tires for light duty vehicles, and me personally i would avoid them since a Virgin tire will hold up better, and even DOT requires this on the front of semis since a failure on a single axle can lead to an accident. But as i said im not uptodate on the light duty tires that are retreads.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I'm with Murdog I didnt know they were still retreading lightduty truck tires, I havent seen them for sale for years.
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I've heard that retreads for light duty vehicles exist, and with good reviews, but I would never put retreads on any of my vehicles. I've heard horror stories of how much they tear up when they catastrophically fail on semi-trucks.
  5. troutbug

troutbug Member

Yeah, it's not pretty (or cheap) when these things come apart. I personally wouldn't put them on my vehicle either, but to each his own.
  6. wis bang

wis bang New Member

While I agree on light vehicle retreads being a bad idea, I do have experience on class 8 vehicle damage due to tire failure.

Tire failures do an incredible amount of damage to big rigs. I worked w/ tankers where we lost the light box and hose tube in addition to the fender damage when we blew a trailer tire. Throw in the damages to the hoses that cost anywhere from $250 to over $1,000 each and it got real expensive. The last tanker fleet I worked with wouldn't use them.

Unfortunately MOST of the 'tire gators' you see on the interstate are NOT retreads! If you see wires sticking out of the remains, the tire casing failed. There are no steel cords in a re-tread. They are 'zipper' failures usually caused by running alongside another tire that is low on air pressure. The excess flexing and heat from one tire doing all the work causes a few of the steel cords to pop leaving the neighboring chords to 'un-zip' and the casing comes apart.

That's why you see the two dual tires connected w/ tubing to equalize the pressure. Zippers ruin a $350 tire and prevent it from being recapped a few times at 1/2 the cost.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  7. vms4evr

vms4evr New Member

Interesting info wis bang, thanks. I would have never guessed it was the casing.

I stopped using recap tires in my early 20s, that's a long time ago... I didn't realize you could still get them at all for passenger vehicles. We used them back then because they were what we could afford, plain and simple. Sandpaper retreads, mostly snow tires. I never had one come apart on me thankfully. Some looked awfully ragged where the casing met though when I tossed them.
  8. lakelanierboater

lakelanierboater New Member

Thanks all for the info. At least 1 company does advertise them in the back of one of the 4wd mags. Will let you know if I do get them and run them.
  9. mudislife2

mudislife2 New Member

Treadwright.com sells a large selection of LT mt and at tires. i dont know if they are any good or not. I have heard some good things about them.
  10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I did some research after this post came out and found quite a few companies selling retreads.
    I talked to a couple shops that told me they offer retreads but they arent advertised as heavily as new tires, mostly because the mark-up on retreads is much lower, obviously they want to make the best amount of profit they can from each sale.
    Oddly enough most shops would show me a used tire before they would a retread, not because the used tire was better but again because of the profit margin.